Counter Shaft sprocket cover

8 replies to this topic
  • jlpskydive

Posted May 02, 2005 - 04:22 AM

Does anyone make a lightweight counter shaft sprocket cover for the L? The stock one holds mud like crazy and weighs 3 pounds. :naughty: would one off a 600 work??

• frankstr

Posted May 02, 2005 - 04:33 AM

Why not just take it off and leave it off, Mines off on my BRP, Had same prob.
would plug with mud.............. :naughty:

• jlpskydive

Posted May 02, 2005 - 05:00 AM

Why not just take it off and leave it off, Mines off on my BRP, Had same prob.
would plug with mud.............. :naughty:

It's off now and has been for awhile. I am a little worried if the chain breaks that it will hit the case without the guard.

• bork

Posted May 02, 2005 - 05:13 AM

I know on my old yam xt500 I cut a piece of metal like the letter "C" to go around sprocket ,in middle of links .(useing existing case holes from original cover). To keep chain from jaming in there and breaking something. Takes a little bit to cut and drill and shim but worked great ! Use a piece of cardboard and scissors to make template , and try to keep tolerence of "C" about a 1/4" no more from chain on sprocket , so chain cant double up & get jammed in if breakge occures. But find breakage is very scarce now days compared to when I was a kid . Better chains ? Wiser in adjustment and care ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted May 02, 2005 - 07:43 AM

the countershaft cover on my 'L' is a plastic piece, with what seems to be a small sheet metal piece molded in ... whole thing weighs a coupla ounces .. ?? ... leave it off if the weight is an issue, (or urinate, ... that should even out the weight) ..

• jlpskydive

Posted May 02, 2005 - 08:05 AM

It's not really a weight issue it's the fact that it holds all that mud up there and it's just another piece that I have to take off when I change sprockets.

• brocku

Posted May 02, 2005 - 12:54 PM

I took my Dremel and cut out the 3 oval channels. I think it is even faster now....speed holes. :naughty:

• roadcam

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:15 AM

and sprocket runs cooler too ... right Brocku ?? :)

• Jeff Moore

Posted May 10, 2005 - 02:15 AM

Brocku- How fast is your Dremel? Can you post pics of that faster/cooling mod?? I may try it- I just hate whizzing into the wind. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.