Doing a rebuild need advice.

3 replies to this topic
  • Bleuhaze

Posted May 01, 2005 - 07:44 PM

I need some helpful advice from all the XR650L guys, bought a low mile (4357miles) 94 with a motor that was seized at the rod small end, along with looks like a lube failure/overheating in pretty much the entire top end. I managed to find some of the pieces(cam, rockers,oil pump) But still need a piston (first over, it just melted but did nothing to the bore) a rod kit and gasket set. Places and prices as well as recommendations would be greatly appreciated.Also I want to install an oil cooler to help prevent this problem again any suggestions? (Jagg has discontinued the one they had) Love TT long time lurker just never joined.

• roadcam

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:18 AM

I think someone in here said you can buy a NEW complete engine for about $2500 ... I have no idea if that is accurate, but may be cheaper in the long run, if ya bought the bike cheap enough ... just a thought to consider . plus, you'd have spare cases, etc, and parts if something drastic happened again ...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted May 04, 2005 - 04:50 PM

I'd check the frame downtube screen something caused oiling system failure unless they just ran it low or put the filter in wrong.

• Bleuhaze

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:17 PM

No telling what this clown did, I received the motor in a box, supposedly he was on the highway (70 here in MS) and he was'nt wringing it out, or so he said. Sad thing is that after teardown you could tell this motor was telling him to stop LONG before she popped.And I will check everything before I put it back together! i'd like to only do this once :-)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.