2004 yz 450f suspension question

4 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted May 01, 2005 - 05:25 PM

I'm just reading up/learning on setting up a suspension properly. One of the sites mentioned on TT, a link to racetech.com, showed a chart for inputting your weight (without gear on), and riding type (motocross) and than it would calculate the proper spring rate. Based on my weight without gear (186 pounds), the recommended spring rate is .452 kg/mm. The stock fork is rated at .460 kg/mm. From these figures, it seems to me that I'm actually too light for an ideal match. I thought that the yz 450f is designed around a rider of about 175 pounds or so?????? Does anybody have any clarification on this?? I just got my 2004 yz 450f about 10 days ago, and I want to really learn the proper method of setting up the suspension (sag, race sag etc.) Thanks ....Don

• walent215

Posted May 01, 2005 - 06:03 PM

with your weight the stock fork springs are right for your weight and type of riding you do.From the factory most mx bikes are sprung for the lighter rider -150 to 160. Just set the sag (usually start @ 100 mm with all gear on) and you should be fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted May 03, 2005 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the info...... Don

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2005 - 02:46 PM

First read:

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

Then:

http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

After which you may want to continue to:

http://www.mx-tech.com/tuning.asp

I am about your weight at 190 without gear. My YZ450 has .48's in the front and a 5.8 in the rear. The rear sag sets up perfectly, indicating that the spring rate in the rear is at least close to right. Race Tech's web site suggests I run the stock .46 springs in the front, and yet most people whose opinion I trust say that the YZ450 as shipped is sprung for riders in the range of 160-175 lbs. The word here is that the Race Tech site spring calculator is off. To me, the bike feels plusher with the stiffer springs, probably because it lets me back off of the compression adjusters quite a ways and let the springs do the work. I very rarely run the front through the entire stroke, but I'm older 'n slower, and don't fly as high as I once did. At least not on a bike.

• flintlock28

Posted May 03, 2005 - 05:07 PM

Thanks grayracer, you are a lexicon of knowledge..........

Don

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.