....why would you ride an XR600?.......

15 replies to this topic
  • dirtyoldmanhands

Posted May 01, 2005 - 11:12 AM

............ill tell ya why i do........
.......dont change the oil.........EVERY ride........
................easy maint air cleaner.............
........no coolent to worry about..........
.............smooth easy to use power.........with mega torque........
........can ride it backwards........in 2nd gear........with out stallin it.........
.................fairly easy to start.............
............acomidates IMS 4.9 gal tank..............
.........when you clear that big.......dubble jump..........it turns heads.......

..............im just scratching the serface.........

.......high revin is for kids..........

• frankstr

Posted May 01, 2005 - 12:40 PM

I feel the same about my XR650R.... :naughty: But I do have a cooling system...NGD

• offday

Posted May 01, 2005 - 01:18 PM

I guess it would be good for comuting? :naughty: :D :naughty:

• BWB63

Posted May 01, 2005 - 08:07 PM

Why would I go back to riding a XR600R?? Because someone else would be trying out my XR680R and I would be stuck on there XR600R. If the XR600R had a replacable sub frame the frame would be awesome. XR600R was a awesome bike for their time. (I never did like the forks) Change the forks and the XR600R would be a better choice then the XR400R. I got 47+horsepower out of my XR600R with a wisco piston, 12:1 compression (bad choice), cam, 628cc. Doesn't compare to the 58 horsepower that my 680cc XR650R puts to the ground (72hp at the crank). I change the oil every 300~500 miles or at the beggining of the month. If you ride hard and in the dirt the oil gets dirty fast and breaks down faster in an air cooled bike. If all I did was ride dirt roads or on the street it woulf be different.
http://xr650r.borynack.com/

If there are to many poeple in this world why are you still here?

• qadsan

Posted May 01, 2005 - 08:49 PM

....why would you ride an XR600?.......

...because it's a great bike that you can tons of fun on :naughty:

• beer_studd_76

Posted May 02, 2005 - 07:18 AM

because i spanked the other two guys on my minute at the start of the shelton valley enduro. they had new and fancy bikes. too bad mine started first and they had to look at old-tech 600 roost flying at them :naughty:

• LotsOfBikes

Posted May 03, 2005 - 05:38 PM

I share experiences with beerstud.. I can light an XR600R up as fast as I can my CR500 - INSTANT! There's nothing old-tech about kicking their a$$!! :):D

• rippinroche

Posted May 03, 2005 - 07:38 PM

Because you didnt have to rejet and uncork and spend tons of money to make it better. When i brought my xr 650 home and rode it for the first time it felt like riding a ten speed bicycle in the sand it was all over the place . The seat and handle bars need help the seat is to hard and the bars are way to low and a bear to start. Yeah the qs carb will fix that for a little more money. The only bad thing i remember on my old xr 600 was the duel carb set up and a drum brake on the back wheel. That's the story and I'm sticking to it :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR6's_rule

Posted May 04, 2005 - 03:20 AM

Well, I've owned the following bikes in recent years-

-2000 XR400R (which I loved but eventually got sick of)
-1999 WR400F (lasted two weeks then decided to blow the gearbox)
-2001 XR650R (too much power and top-heavy feel, little ground clearance)

.....and I'm back riding a '95 XR600- albeit with upgraded suspenion, if Honda were to release a new XR400/450/500/600 model from scratch that is light, simple (not even water cooling) and easy to work and reliable, I would be back on the Honda bandwagon, for now I'm happy riding the XR6.

Mark.

• dirtyoldmanhands

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Well, I've owned the following bikes in recent years-

-2000 XR400R (which I loved but eventually got sick of)
-1999 WR400F (lasted two weeks then decided to blow the gearbox)
-2001 XR650R (too much power and top-heavy feel, little ground clearance)

.....and I'm back riding a '95 XR600- albeit with upgraded suspenion, if Honda were to release a new XR400/450/500/600 model from scratch that is light, simple (not even water cooling) and easy to work and reliable, I would be back on the Honda bandwagon, for now I'm happy riding the XR6.

Mark.

.........i agree completly.........they need to hybid the XR600 and XR650r.......(with a dash of CRF450X).........

........the first time i took the carbarator off of my '99 YZ400F........i wanted to cry.........

• offday

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:32 AM

OK, I admit it, you got me, why would you ride a xr600? the posts arn't helping :)

• LotsOfBikes

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Simply:
5-year extended care warranty. (I've used it, at least used to before it ran out)

No Radiator... Install a POS supertrap with 8 disks, and a 15-tooth front sprocket.

Now you have identical gearing to an XR650L from second gear onward, meaning that its true top speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 115mph, 7500RPM. It will do it all day long, as long as you have fuel. It has a 190 watt stator - stock. Its engine is not made of balsawood, and tollerates abuse that that a katoom, 650R, YZ/WR450 CRF/X450 would take a trip to the hospital after. The seat IS COMFORTABLE!

And with all of that, you'll have enough money left over for some REAL good suspension, and possibly an A-Loop kit.. Still about $2000 left over..

Now you have a bike with more modern ergonomics, EASY to start, 115mph top speed (with a still-usable 1st gear) bulletproof engine, simple carburetor..

I think the REAL question becomes: How could you knowingly buy an overpriced bike that you know you will have to pull the motor on, is as uncomfortable as sitting on a monkey bar all day, demands a finicky oil change every 100 miles or less, goes through clutch plates as quickly as brake pads, can't run without water, has NO factory warranty, is no significant imporvement over a 1993 XR600R?

• BWB63

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:45 PM

Simply:
5-year extended care warranty. (I've used it, at least used to before it ran out)

No Radiator... Install a POS supertrap with 8 disks, and a 15-tooth front sprocket.

Now you have identical gearing to an XR650L from second gear onward, meaning that its true top speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 115mph, 7500RPM. It will do it all day long, as long as you have fuel. It has a 190 watt stator - stock. Its engine is not made of balsawood, and tollerates abuse that that a katoom, 650R, YZ/WR450 CRF/X450 would take a trip to the hospital after. The seat IS COMFORTABLE!

And with all of that, you'll have enough money left over for some REAL good suspension, and possibly an A-Loop kit.. Still about $2000 left over..

Now you have a bike with more modern ergonomics, EASY to start, 115mph top speed (with a still-usable 1st gear) bulletproof engine, simple carburetor..

I think the REAL question becomes: How could you knowingly buy an overpriced bike that you know you will have to pull the motor on, is as uncomfortable as sitting on a monkey bar all day, demands a finicky oil change every 100 miles or less, goes through clutch plates as quickly as brake pads, can't run without water, has NO factory warranty, is no significant imporvement over a 1993 XR600R?

115mph all day I don't think so, with a stock horsepower XR600R (well maybe down hill) I had a tricked out 94' XR600R (cam, bored over, high compression) but, then agian you are happy enough to pile the XR650R in the pile that your trusty XR600R is better then on a part of the group that is mostly XR650R's. It is not a big issue here or on other groups of riders losing water (on the XR650R) and the seat is an easy fix if you are that dainty. If you want to talk bullet proof and XR650R the Baja 1000 has poven what bike is best. :) I have had several XR600R's in the 80's and early 90's and they have a great frame, sad forks, need a better timing chain tensioner, needs a sub frame and carries it's weight worse then the XR650R but, yes it is a great bike and you can buy then for less then most other bikes for the power they put out!

• dirtyoldmanhands

Posted May 05, 2005 - 01:13 PM

I have had several XR600R's in the 80's and early 90's and they have a great frame

......as much as i love the ol XR........i will tell you this....

......my '96 frame cracked at the neck........huge crack with oil comming out and all that........

.........i took it to a welder and he said that the factory weld did not "penitrate" the way it should have........

......since it was a factory defect......i called honda........they said the frame would not and did not crack.........(basicly called me a lier).......

.......so i took the bike to a honda dealer so they could take a look at it...........then they called american honda in cali.............im not sure what they told the dealer........but.........i soon found out that honda does NOT stand behind honda products......

...........i will NOT buy anything new from honda after this experiance.........need parts?.....E bay.......

......haw anyone ealse had this problem with a '96 XR600r?.........im sure the welding robot made the same mistake all day long.......(you would think).....

• BWB63

Posted May 05, 2005 - 03:53 PM

.......so i took the bike to a honda dealer so they could take a look at it...........then they called american honda in cali.............im not sure what they told the dealer........but.........i soon found out that honda does NOT stand behind honda products......

I bought my wife's engagement ring and paid extra for insurance that the dimond would not fall out. Well after two years the dimond fell out......took it back to Zales and they said, "you must have abused it so, we won't replace it Because the dimond can't fall out inless you abuse it and abuse is not covered". We went to the better buisness and we finaly got the dimond replaced but, I am sure you heard the same thing. Can't be Honda's fault! Has to be the user's! Same with the faulty foot peg on the XR650R. They know it's bad and some have gotten major hurt but, they won't fix it. The XR600R frame is way lighter then the Aluminuim XR650R frame and flex's more. The rake angle could be a little less to make the XR600 handle a little better in the tight stuff. To bad you got a bum frame weld. Sounds like your in for it! I had a run for a while where seemed everything I bought had something wrong with it and it wasn't the makers fault. It's all about the bottom line for the makers. Hope you get over it and come bake to Honda, they make the best junk out there. :)

• dirtyoldmanhands

Posted May 05, 2005 - 04:28 PM

It's all about the bottom line for the makers. Hope you get over it and come bake to Honda, they make the best junk out there. :)

.......this is true.......its all about the money.........and american honda has so much.....they dont need anymore of mine........

...........i bought a YZ400F........a few days after i tore my scott summers poster from my garage wall........i should have sent a sales comission check to the jack ass at american honda hoo i talked to.......he is the best salesman yamaha has ever had......

.......oh and.......GO richy charmical........and GOOD for suzuki.......

...........yes........i am still a big XR600 fan.......and with a 4.9 gal tank.......and SRC luggage rack........it is my servivalist bike......

.......im just not too quick to give any money to a corporation hoo i called because of a problem with thier product.........and they respond........(in so many words)......."your full of shit".......

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.