Got my new 450 now what do I need to get ready for the Dunes??

3 replies to this topic
  • snow

Posted May 01, 2005 - 08:27 AM

WoW got the bike and it is sweet should be nice compared to my old yz490 :naughty: I mean the 490 had lots of power but was a pig or at least it felt like it. I have done lots of searching on Paddle tires but no one can agree on what’s the best paddle?? Should I go 8 or 10 I ride in St. Anthony so its really steep and the 10 worked great on my 490 but will the 450 pull it?? Also what is the best type??? I had a chin sing or something like that but is there better paddles out there?? What about the ones with the ribs in the center??? :naughty: Also what do you guys to protect your bikes from the sand?? Airbox, shocks ect. Also should I gear the bike?? I am going to run the stock chain for a weekend and the replace it.

• kincade

Posted May 01, 2005 - 10:43 AM

I've ran both the Cheng Shin and the Kings rear paddle; if you can fit it, the kings is much better. I run an 8, a 10 will bog down IMHO in heavy sand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snow

Posted May 01, 2005 - 07:08 PM

What makes the kings better??? I wish I could run a 10. Should I gear the bike if so what would be the best gearing and should I go steal? What about jetting and the airfilter??

• kincade

Posted May 01, 2005 - 08:52 PM

Kings has deeper paddles, ribs in the center of the paddle itself, and small ribs on the sides of the tires to keep it stable.

I run stock gearing, 14/50. I run JD kit w/ Indy's recommendations w/ good luck, #40 Leak Jet, Twin Air filter, and a steel rear sprocket.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.