2002 426 overheating

3 replies to this topic
  • Style426

Posted April 30, 2005 - 08:01 PM

I have a 02 426 w a overheating problem i thought it was just because i was riding it slow one day through a small canyon but today i started it and it started leaking out of a small hole just below the impeller/ water pump any ideas./////////////

• demolition_x

Posted April 30, 2005 - 08:32 PM

i think the seals are bad. i had the same problem with my 125. there was 2 seals on that bike which used the same hole to show if they were bad. don't know if the 426 is the same.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • c-man

Posted April 30, 2005 - 08:32 PM

It is your outer water pump seal that has failed. This is a very common and easy to fix problem. It is designed to leak out of that weep hole so the fluid doesn't go into you oil and raise cain. It is also best to replace the inner seal while you are at it. It is an easy fix and should take 1-2 hours for the average joe. The earlier years of yzf's also had problems with the water pump shafts wearing a groove in them and then this would in turn ruin the seal. This happened to my 99', but I have not heard of it in the newer year 426's and have had no issues with my 01' . Anyways, have a look at the shaft while you are in there, but there IS one machined groove in the shaft, so don't let it fool you,,,,compare it to a new one and ask your dealer if it needs replacing to save some $ if you don't need one.

Best of luck and hope this helps,

Clint

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2005 - 09:14 PM

there IS one machined groove in the shaft, so don't let it fool you

A groove worn in by a seal will not have a machined look, but rather, it will be rounded, polished, and a bit irregular in shape. It's pretty easy to distinguish.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.