Bar Mount Hot Start YZ426

5 replies to this topic
  • HyBridYZ426

Posted April 30, 2005 - 02:51 PM

Who has one & do you like it?
How hard is it to install?
If you have any pics of it Please post them.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:19 PM

I have a Dr.D on the 250F. I like it fine. Installation was a simple thing. The only draw back is that water can find its way into the hot start plunger through the cable, and if you just put the bike away after you wash it, you'll have a plunger stuck shut in a week. There are two things you can do to avoid it, besides never washing the bike.

First, you can pull the plunger out of the carb after washing, spray the water out with a carb cleaner, and lube it with dry moly or a water proof grease.

But what I do instead is start the bike and while the choke is on, open the hot start. You could wait til the choke was off, too, but then you'll have to bring the revs up a bit. Running it with the hot start open for 10-20 seconds draws off any water that might have entered so it won't corrode anything. I've never had it stick since I started doing that.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 30, 2005 - 09:08 PM

I'll second the Dr. D. I put one on last fall, and I can't believe I waited that long to do it! It's so much nicer to have it up on the bars than down on the carb... only major drawback is you have to remove it if you need to pull the carb, where with the stock plunger you didn't have to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted April 30, 2005 - 09:09 PM

But what I do instead is start the bike and while the choke is on, open the hot start. You could wait til the choke was off, too, but then you'll have to bring the revs up a bit. Running it with the hot start open for 10-20 seconds draws off any water that might have entered so it won't corrode anything. I've never had it stick since I started doing that.

That's a good idea, I'll have to start doing that! :naughty:

• moto2000

Posted May 01, 2005 - 06:47 AM

Yeah, it's defiantly a nice product to have, but after doing some jetting, free mods I've found on TT, and an auto cam, I haven't needed it too much. It usually lights up without the hotstart...............unless I do a endo, three cartwheels and pitch it off into the trees :naughty: but then I'm not in too big a hurry to get going. :naughty:

• Florida_426

Posted May 01, 2005 - 04:36 PM

Hybrid,
I will also recommend the Dr.D Hot Start kit. It was the first mod I did to my '02 426 and it has ben a dream to use. I clean mine every time we come back from the track. A bonus is that doug and Gina are responsive to all emailed questions. I have asked several questions of them and they always get back to me promptly.

Bill

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.