static or race sag??

5 replies to this topic
  • pb1963

Posted April 30, 2005 - 09:47 AM

I've seen a few threads talking about sag measurements for a brp. Seems most say start with 100 mm. Do you guys set the static sag first and then check the race or just set the race? I checked my static sag and it was 31.75 mm. What should the static numbers be? Thanks

• don87xr600

Posted April 30, 2005 - 09:56 AM

static sag is used to determine if you have the right spring. set the race sag first then check the static.

• pb1963

Posted May 01, 2005 - 10:26 AM

Hmmm, I was tought with KTM's to set the static and check the race. Maybe my buddy didn't know WTH he was talking about!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • x thread

Posted October 02, 2005 - 01:11 AM

just got my suspension back and was told to set race sag between 4.250 to 4.375the static sag was when i take it off the stand it settles just a bit I'm good to go .hope thats right.

• oldturtle

Posted October 03, 2005 - 10:00 AM

The KTMs with no linkage do have a different sag procedure than others so forget about anything you heard about the KTM. A good starting point for race sag on any linkage suspension bike is about 1/3 of the total rear wheel travel. Now if you want to get better straight line and sand wash stability then increase sag and if you want easier cornering then decrease sag. Now check static sag. Should be around 3/4" to 1-1/2". If much less than this range you may need stiffer spring and if more you may need softer spring; just opposite of what you might think.

• Supplicate

Posted October 03, 2005 - 01:18 PM

Everything I've ever read states to set static sag first, check race sag. (and no I don't read the suspension part of TT)

If you have the correct spring for your weight, this should put you right on the money.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.