Is a 1985 XL600r a good year for this bike?

5 replies to this topic
  • quincy

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:33 AM

I have a chance to buy a 1985 XL600r @ $1,200... is this a good commuter bike? Dual carb. Should I stay away from this year?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

• frankstr

Posted April 30, 2005 - 06:47 AM

I've heard these bikes have have a weak gear box, But thats just what I've heard and read........ :naughty:
I bought a 86 XR600R for 600 and my son has been riding it and its had no problems yet.......... :naughty:

• M.Stone

Posted April 30, 2005 - 11:01 AM

I had an '86 XL600R for a long time, and the only negative comment is that they were atrocious starters (Ed Hertfelder will second me on that). And the worst was if the bike stalled before completely warming up, good luck finding a choke position that would get it started again. So my suggestion would be to start the bike several times, cold and hot, and see what your confidence level in the bike is then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted April 30, 2005 - 01:14 PM

I have a chance to buy a 1985 XL600r @ $1,200... is this a good commuter bike? Dual carb. Should I stay away from this year?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

The 83 XL6 hun was probably the best of the model years. This was the first year for the RFVC motor. The later years had the carbs really leaned out. So if you put a pipe on them they would actually lose top end. I've had an '86 & an '83. The '86 ran o.k., but the used '83 I bought in '88 ran better in my opinion.

I've had 500R's, 600R's & now the 650L. The old kicker XL's are still my favorite. Never had any problems, cold or hot. Just remember to check the kill switch before you start kicking. One more tip, always turn the bars to the left just a bit. This way you won't destroy your knee cap when it kicks back. :naughty:

• outwest

Posted May 02, 2005 - 12:21 AM

I beet the piss out of my 85 xr600r, get your rythem down when it comes to starting it and no problem.thing runs like a raped ape.oh ya dont fludd it!

• BLSBRKR65

Posted May 10, 2005 - 02:54 PM

'83-'87 Honda XL600R are essentially the same. However, the 1983 model is a first production bike so it holds more value. Other than that it is all the same. I have an '83 and '86 right now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.