New WR-450

10 replies to this topic
  • tcjive

Posted April 30, 2005 - 04:42 AM

I just bought a '05 WR-450 on wednesday. I havent even taken it out yet. Yesterday I decided to start it and warm it up (new toy can't leave it alone). 1st the thing will not idle

• tcjive

Posted April 30, 2005 - 04:45 AM

(oops posted early)

2nd I noticed the header pipe was visually hot, like red hot.
3rd on the cylinder head there is a whole that seems to be threaded (like a screw should go there. Is any or all of this normal (new to 4 strokes) does any one out there have any advise?

• gregwr450f

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:00 AM

Header pipe does glow, don't let your bike idle for long, they need air flow to keep them cool.

• gregwr450f

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:03 AM

Where abouts on the head is the hole?

• tcjive

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:04 AM

I Appreciate it! on the side (right side) of the cylinder head, right inbetween where the head bolts to the cylinder there is a little hole. do you know if there is supposed to be? I cant really tell by looking at the pics in the service guide.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chipwich

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:04 AM

tcjive, where do you live in GA? you may need to adjust your fuel screw depending on altitude to get a smooth idle. I.E. what works in Atlanta doesn't quite cut it in Suches.

red pipe is normal

not sure on hole.

• gregwr450f

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:08 AM

The hole is a drain for the spark plug well.

• gregwr450f

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:10 AM

When you wash the bike don't spray directly into the hole.

• tcjive

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:24 AM

in lawrenceville. I ride orv trails in dahlonega and blairsville. Sometimes I go to durham town. I'm alway's looking for new places to ride though!!

• tcjive

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:28 AM

gregwr450f thanks for the info, now i'm calm. I though they didn't finish preping my bike prior to my taking delivery and I was a little ticked after spending all that cash.

• gregwr450f

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:32 AM

No probs, just remember don't let it idle for more then about 3mins.
Another thing you can do to it is put some heat reflective tape on the bottom part of the rad to reflect the heat coming of the header pipe.
And do a search on TT for the free mods to make it kick butt :naughty:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.