01 Clutch mod question

19 replies to this topic
  • biznet1

Posted April 29, 2005 - 05:32 PM

I screwed up when I ordered the parts because the part numbers are almost identical for the inner friction plate and the other friction plates. Needless to say I didn't get the inner plate. What is the physical difference with this inner plate? Have to ride tomorrow, so do I go there or not?

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2005 - 05:43 PM

Someone check me on this, but I believe the inner is heavier, and may also be one sided.

Check it out: http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/

• cowboyona426

Posted April 29, 2005 - 09:28 PM

The hole in the center is bigger on the innermost friction plate in the 01 clutch pack. You'd definitely want to have the correct inner plate in there I would think.

• biznet1

Posted April 29, 2005 - 09:49 PM

Thanks guys. It gets worse from here. I decided to install the new plates without the 01 parts so I wouldn't risk damage. Now, using a torque wrench mind you, before the click of the wrench, the bolt twisted off (hardly any pressure). So, I carefully drilled out the bolt and backed it with an easy-out, breathed a sigh of relief, found another bolt and continued on. I decided to use the split finger technique with a ratchet so I don't have much leverage just in case my torque wrench was off. Then snap! I broke off another one. $#@$%#@#. Then commenced to drill that one out, then snap, my bit broke off. After grinding down my needle nose to twist out the bit, snap, I broke off another one. This one is too deep to reach, so now I have to buy another freakin boss. Unless there is a way to drill out a broken drill bit??????????? I know I aint the greatest mechanic in the world, but I've never screwed up so much in one day. I guess the stars weren't aligned properly or something. :naughty: :D :D :D :D :cry: :D :p :naughty:

• 426_Texan

Posted April 29, 2005 - 10:31 PM

If you have a dremmel, the diamond tipped grinder stone works great for getting out broken off drill bits. It will eat through that cheap jap bolt like butter. :naughty:

• mark794

Posted April 30, 2005 - 12:55 AM

Just out of curiousity.. What are you setting that torque wrench at? The bolts in the clutch should be a higher grade of hardness than most of the other bolts, and more likely to pull the threads before twisting off. Maybe someone set you up by putting the wrong bolts in it.

• 426_Texan

Posted April 30, 2005 - 01:45 AM

and be sure you arent confusing in/lbs with ft/lbs....

• biznet1

Posted April 30, 2005 - 08:20 AM

Mark,
I'm sure they are the original bolts, and this thing snapped WAY before I could have stripped the threads. The boss is aluminum so that's probably why it's a soft bolt so you don't strip the threads.

Tex,
I checked and double checked my torque settings in the book and the wrench. I will get a diamond dremmel bit today.

The stock clutch boss is only $49 at DGY, so I feel much better now. I'm going to get grade eight bolts too.

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2005 - 09:24 AM

Upgrade the boss to a Hinson, GYT-R, or, at least, the '04/'05 part. If the parts counter tells you that the '03 is the same part as the '04, they've already superceded the '03 boss with the new one.

• 426_Texan

Posted April 30, 2005 - 02:25 PM

Those diamond bits for the dremmel are really handy.
I've now used mnie for a few different things :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • biznet1

Posted April 30, 2005 - 03:31 PM

Upgrade the boss to a Hinson, GYT-R, or, at least, the '04/'05 part. If the parts counter tells you that the '03 is the same part as the '04, they've already superceded the '03 boss with the new one.

I would love too, but it's $279. :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2005 - 06:28 PM

Yeah, they're proud of their work, aren't they?

The '04/'05 then.

• biznet1

Posted May 04, 2005 - 03:40 AM

I got the new hub, and the mod feels great. My clutch was grabbing very bad before the mod. The old inner hub was not grooved, but my friction plates looked pretty worn. Cowboy you were correct about the friction plate. It's obvious now that it is VERY important, because it fits around the base plate and spring. Without it, the plate would sit right on top of the spring.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 04, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Glad you're happy with the new setup! It's funny how you never really notice how funky the 00 clutch is until you do the update... :) Enjoy!

• palmdaleRider

Posted May 04, 2005 - 04:51 PM

Thanks guys. It gets worse from here. I decided to install the new plates without the 01 parts so I wouldn't risk damage. Now, using a torque wrench mind you, before the click of the wrench, the bolt twisted off (hardly any pressure). So, I carefully drilled out the bolt and backed it with an easy-out, breathed a sigh of relief, found another bolt and continued on. I decided to use the split finger technique with a ratchet so I don't have much leverage just in case my torque wrench was off. Then snap! I broke off another one. $#@$%#@#. Then commenced to drill that one out, then snap, my bit broke off. After grinding down my needle nose to twist out the bit, snap, I broke off another one. This one is too deep to reach, so now I have to buy another freakin boss. Unless there is a way to drill out a broken drill bit??????????? I know I aint the greatest mechanic in the world, but I've never screwed up so much in one day. I guess the stars weren't aligned properly or something. ;) :) :D :worthy: :D :D :D :) :D

There is a way. Years and years ago I broke and easy-out in the head of my CB1100F. Had to take engine out and take it to a machine shop where the use some electric welding equipment that essentially melted the exhaust stud and easyout. This was over 20 years ago, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details but it can be done. FWIW. I know you've allready spent the coin for the new basket.

• Rick_Graham

Posted May 04, 2005 - 05:32 PM

There is a way. Years and years ago I broke and easy-out in the head of my CB1100F. Had to take engine out and take it to a machine shop where the use some electric welding equipment that essentially melted the exhaust stud and easyout. This was over 20 years ago, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details but it can be done. FWIW. I know you've allready spent the coin for the new basket.

It's called an EDM machine. EDM stands for electrical discharge machine. It basically uses high voltage to displace the metal. They are pretty slick and can save a very expensive part from turning into scrap.

• palmdaleRider

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:23 PM

It's called an EDM machine. EDM stands for electrical discharge machine. It basically uses high voltage to displace the metal. They are pretty slick and can save a very expensive part from turning into scrap.

Yep! I was in the Marines at the time, and this EDM machine saved me a lot of money, which at the time was a great relief to me. :)

• biznet1

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:24 PM

The clutch boss was only $50. It would seem that this thing would melt the aluminum around the easy out.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:19 PM

A plasma cutter in the hands of a very, very skilled person is also effective at removing broken taps and easy-outs, but you can also cause yourself a lot of grief with just a tiny little slip.

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:46 PM

The clutch boss was only $50. It would seem that this thing would melt the aluminum around the easy out.

Aluminum is great at conducting and radiating heat. The broken bolt can do neither of those things as well, and what happens is that it ends up being melted and carried off electrically before the aluminum has a chance to heat up very much at all. I've seen it work; it's very cool. Well, maybe not cool. You know what I mean. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.