Can you give me a push w/ these tire choices?

30 replies to this topic
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted May 03, 2005 - 01:35 AM

got 700 miles now on my 04 WR450 and still with the stock tires. A guy at the cycle shop told me people really like the Maxxis tires and at a little cheaper than the Michilins. Think I might give Maxxis a try.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 03, 2005 - 06:58 AM

I go through phases... I think the Maxxis ITs are great tires, and I don't think the fronts are junk at all, just not the most aggressive. I dunno what Maxxis puts in their rubber but those tires really do last a long time compared to the other brands. I get a slammin deal on Dunlops and Bridgestones, so I've been running the 756's. I love the tires...

• wakin

Posted May 03, 2005 - 07:28 AM

You might also consider the brigestone 401a for the front. The tire is available in an oversized 90/100-21 size. I really like it at the s-hole jordan river track. It wears well and has excellent traction.

Another vote for the Bridgestone 401 up front :naughty:

• FTD

Posted May 03, 2005 - 11:03 AM

Bridgestone 401 front and 402 rear. :)

• kirkw

Posted May 03, 2005 - 01:06 PM

M12 front, Maxxis IT rear. The IT is the BEST tire I have used from a longevity standpoint, and I have tried ,many versions of all the major brands. It si always a balance between longevity and traction, but I will take a 5 ride Maxxis on the rear over a Bridgestone or Dunlop any day. More knobs mean better tractions. The Michelin has been a very good performer up front, but may trie the new SI up front next go around.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bandit99

Posted May 03, 2005 - 03:27 PM

The Dunlop 756 on the front is great. I am not a fan of the S12's. The profile of the tire prevents me from getting bit when I want to make a turn. The back tire doesn't matter as long as it is on sale. I burn them up so quick I can't even remember one from the other.

Here is the thing about tires. You ask 100 people and you get 100 answers. Just buy a tire, burn it up, if you like it buy it again, if you don't try something else.

• Ivan450

Posted May 03, 2005 - 11:12 PM

I use Metzeler MC 5 front and Maxxis IT on the rear. I have got another IT to go on the back but I might try a Michy or the 756 next time. I find the MC5 much better than the 739 especially the softer it gets.

• Sylvain

Posted May 04, 2005 - 04:39 AM

I'm on my third set of front S-12 and rear M-12. It's an almost do everything combo, except for may be really hard surface riding. I experienced some front knob chunking with a front S-12. But I have to admit I was playing(practicing) stoppies.

I have a set of front and rear Maxxis HT I want to try on hard surface. I'll let you know how it went.

• DeltaT

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:57 PM

I have the S12/S12 combo and love it. Get the big one for the rear - it is 140/80 - 18. I got mine from rockymountainmc.com for 47.99/F and 57.99/R. Put the HD tubes in while you're at it! I am still running 14/12 psi F/R because we keep getting a little rain which keeps things soft.

I found the stock front tire to be evil and the rear to be mediocre.

Jim

• kincade

Posted May 05, 2005 - 06:46 AM

Well, I ordered the S12 Rear and M12 front; local shop will do them for $150 mounted, which I suppose isn't too bad of a price... I'm going to throw the bridgestone HD tubes in at the same time too.

However, I ordered the same size as Michelin calls for stock for it; is that size ok, or is it smaller than usual?

• DeltaT

Posted May 16, 2005 - 02:39 PM

What size does Michelin call for?

Jim

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.