Got a great price on 05 what do you guys think??

17 replies to this topic
  • snow

Posted April 29, 2005 - 01:51 PM

My uncle wich runs our local yamaha shop gave me a great price on an 05 and since I didn't buy the 04 that I was going to I don't know if I should wait till the 06 or what :naughty: Anyway just to check his price what is the going OTD price for an 05yz450?? I have a few more questions also I am used to riding 2 strokes and I am deathly afraid of the cost of blowing this thing up so what kind of luck have you guys had? Is there anything I should look out for on the 05 and I plan on riding the bike in the woods and sand so will I need a bigger tank and a recluse?? Thanks for the help guys any info would be great.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 29, 2005 - 01:54 PM

I say wait for 06 - it should be that much better! :naughty:

• snow

Posted April 29, 2005 - 02:02 PM

But how much better and what will change??? Man I wish the 06 would come out sooner. Thanks

• BigDesto

Posted April 29, 2005 - 02:18 PM

Wait for the 06!!! :naughty:

• WheelsUp

Posted April 29, 2005 - 03:37 PM

At LA Yamaha, their OTD price, including 8.25% California sales tax and DMV reg fees is $6500 for a WR450F, $6000 for the YZ450F

That's going to be the best price available from a dealer around here.

• snow

Posted April 29, 2005 - 07:35 PM

Well I put my name on one so I have untill 10AM Sat morning to make up my mind. I know the 06 is going to be nice but if its 5-8 Lbs lighter I don't think I am going to feel it since i'm not that good and use to ride a Yz490 in the dunes. Is the 06 going to have a bunch more power or EFI if so then I might think about waiting. No matter what I get I think the recluse and a larger tank will be in order. Thanks for the help guys. :naughty:

• WheelsUp

Posted April 29, 2005 - 08:09 PM

Hehe... if it has EFI, I'd definitely get the '05.
It may (or may not) produce more power... made a big difference in cars, but it's not user-tunable. No more simple rejetting after a pipe or airbox change :naughty:

• snow

Posted April 29, 2005 - 08:17 PM

I have a 05 RMK 900 efi and I would never go back. The plugs are perfect from 6000Ft to 11000Ft. Fuel economy is the best thing about efi It use to be that you used all of the 12 Gal tank now all I hold is 10.8 Gal and I use 7 and have way more power than my 800 and it starts up in any weather.

• WheelsUp

Posted April 29, 2005 - 08:22 PM

I have a feeling 1st-generation dirtbike EFI systems will be more like the early Detroit systems that were as bad or worse than carb systems... their goal was emissions reduction. I agree that EFI would work well for a street cruiser.

Even today, EFI and timing remapping for performance is big business. My boss paid $300 for a unit to remap his Marauder, and people are paying $900 for a Unichip to improve the Tundra.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2005 - 09:28 PM

The Cannondales had EFI, and tuning them was a snap as I understand it. The Japanese have always been years ahead of Detroit in terms of vehicle electronics, EFI in particular. Even the earliest examples like the 280Z were more advanced, functional, and reliable that the half-way efforts U.S. car makers came up with 10 years later. They were even better than the Bosch systems that they were licensed and patterned after. What would even suggest to you that Yamaha, of all people, competing in the market they are in, would release anything that was not a serious racing grade EFI system?

• WheelsUp

Posted April 29, 2005 - 10:30 PM

'Cuz I'm gettin' old and crotchety :naughty:
I know carbs...

• snow

Posted April 30, 2005 - 05:23 AM

Well Guys I just bit the big one. Yep I told him to pick it up he is also picking one up for my friend so I just found out. :naughty: Well I better hope I can outride him. Anyway wish me luck i should be able to pick it up by noon today. Ps how do I break this thing in before I go to the dunes next weekend or is break in a big deal on the 4 strokes. :naughty:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 30, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Well Guys I just bit the big one. Yep I told him to pick it up he is also picking one up for my friend so I just found out. :naughty: Well I better hope I can outride him. Anyway wish me luck i should be able to pick it up by noon today. Ps how do I break this thing in before I go to the dunes next weekend or is break in a big deal on the 4 strokes. :naughty:

congrats on your purchase - even if it is a 05 :D
- buy a new chain today and take the crappy stock chain off
- lube your steering head bearings
- dump those Dunlop 739' they won't work worth poop in the sand dunes

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2005 - 09:28 AM

congrats on your purchase - even if it is a 05 :D
- buy a new chain today and take the crappy stock chain off
- lube your steering head bearings
- dump those Dunlop 739' they won't work worth poop in the sand dunes

:D :naughty: :naughty: :D one for each point!

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2005 - 10:03 AM

'Cuz I'm gettin' old and crotchety :naughty:

Now, that I can understand. :naughty:

• offday

Posted April 30, 2005 - 10:14 AM

The whole EFI thing is this. The Detroit problem was trying to meet emission standards. and everyone was making the switch to efi. once they got it ironed out it was great. The technology for motorcycles is nothing new. The technology has been around quite awhile. It will work with out a hitch. GasGas already does it. My problem is that just like the old days, when your car was acting up you could almost work on it with a rock and limp it home. Now all you can do is call a tow truck. Will the bikes be the same? Nothing to do in the middle of the desert but find a way to get it back to the truck? your whole trip ruined because of????? some little kink in the brain? a carborated bike you can at least mess with. a no spark problem is one thing. but no fuel? on EFI? :naughty: :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 30, 2005 - 11:21 AM

You can fix a carb with a rock? Cool! Anyway, unless the black box goes entirely down, EFI will go into a default mode and operate with a base fuel map when a component fails to work right (not all of them of course), so every little thing isn't going to shut down your bike. When has your CDI totally, or even partially quit working?

The real problem with Detroit was that they didn't want to use EFI. The leadership of the big three was trying so hard to avoid spending anything on their cars in the mid eighties that they took shortcuts and slapped band-aids on everything they did. That led to wonderful products such as throttle body injection ("rainbird", as we called it), "cross-fire" injection (known to techs as "cease-fire"), and even the quasi port injection on my own truck. As superior as it is to the throttle body systems, it's a batch fired poppet valve arrangement that simply doesn't match the performance of the current fully sequential systems. If Detroit had pulled their collective heads out of the dark spot they were in, they would have followed the example of the Japanese, and the Germans before them, which is what they ended up doing in the end, anyway.

In 1973, Ford applied for a pass on the 1975 emissions standards for their 460 cid V8, saying that they could not make it pass without severely hampering engine performance. I don't know what prompted them to do it, but Honda bought 10 460's and shipped them to Japan. They built a set of CVCC heads for each of them and used Denso carburetors. These 10 460's met the 1977 emission standards. The Feds told Ford to keep trying. Ford slapped on some band-aids and produced severely hampered 460's that ran rough and got horrible mileage, but they were cheap. Illustrates the attitude of the times.

• snow

Posted April 30, 2005 - 11:57 AM

Well I'm just about to leave to go pick up the bike. :naughty: So buy a new chain also should I gear the bike for the dunes and woods I am allready planning on running a recluse but will gearing it give me more in the mid sice I'm not going to ride that fast :naughty: Also I ride in St. Anthony were hook up is a big deal so will a 450 handel a 10 paddle or should I run an 8. Also what should I do to prepare for the dunes airbox and lube wise?? Anything you guys can think of will be great.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.