Ya, but does it turn??

10 replies to this topic
  • fowler175

Posted April 29, 2005 - 04:51 AM

I currently ride an 01 rm250 that I am selling to possibly get a yzf450 (04/05). The rm handles great in the air, corners like its on rails, and pulls awesome. Its just a little nervous on the fast straights and choppy stuff. I have a line on an 04 450f for a good price, and can also get a good deal on an 05. The reason I have chosen to go with the yzf, is solely based on reliability, and I have never even ridden one. First off, how well do they corner-I have often heard people say they feel top heavy. Secondly, hows the 4-speed gearbox-does it feel gappy, like it needs another gear? How does it work in the bush? would it need to be geared down? Thirdly, power delivery. I have heard that they are a little lazy on the very bottom, with a big mid range hit, into a decent top end. I have no doubt that it will have more usable power that my old rm, but whats your guys' experiences with it?? Just looking for some input & testimonials.

I will be riding mx, as well as the odd hare scramble.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2005 - 08:15 AM

The YZ450 will never be an RM250. And vice-versa. They are two totally different machines. The late RMs are popular because they are everything a two-stroke is; quick, light, nimble, snappy.

The YZ450, OTOH, is a quintessential four-stroke. Power-wise, there's a big difference in the character of the '05 and the '03/'04. The '05 is somewhat like you described, but there isn't really a midrange "hit" so much as a steady build of power. The earlier ones are explosive. Bust it open at any speed above 3500 rpm and make sure it's pointed in the right direction. But far more controllable than the power of a two-stroke.

Cornering is different too. Takes a little more muscle to throw it through an S turn, and the timing is different. But the YZF will go exactly where you want it to, and nothing sticks better with the right tires. Leaving the corner is where they shine. If you're half-way through, you can start your exit.

I don't have a problem with the transmission. If anything, the gear spacing could be wider. It seems a liitle gappy with stock gearing, but I gear it 1 or 2 teeth higher than stock for MX, and 2 teeth higher everywhere else. Low gear's a bit tall for tight trails that way, but it's OK. I miss 5th in the open desert, but the truth is that I used to wish I had a 6th in all my other MX bikes, too, so there's no difference. Geared so that low is the same as a YZ426, the 450's 4th falls 2/3 up between the 426's 4th and 5th. There's about a 3 mph top speed difference that way.

The YZ450F is a great bike, but if you've never ridden a modern MX four-stroke, it will take some getting used to. Learn to love it for its own good qualities, and you won't care that it isn't like your RM.

• JayR426

Posted April 29, 2005 - 09:37 AM

Like Grayracer said, The bikes are completely different animals. Power is an easy one to get accustomed too. However, whether or not people agree with me the YZF will never corner like your RM. Where the RM would tuck in and go the YZ will tend to push. The yzf is a great bike, i have one, but you will miss the cornering ability of your rm and the light weight but you wont miss any power.

Jason

• adrian

Posted April 29, 2005 - 10:15 AM

I currently ride an 01 rm250 that I am selling to possibly get a yzf450 (04/05). The rm handles great in the air, corners like its on rails, and pulls awesome. Its just a little nervous on the fast straights and choppy stuff. I have a line on an 04 450f for a good price, and can also get a good deal on an 05. The reason I have chosen to go with the yzf, is solely based on reliability, and I have never even ridden one. First off, how well do they corner-I have often heard people say they feel top heavy. Secondly, hows the 4-speed gearbox-does it feel gappy, like it needs another gear? How does it work in the bush? would it need to be geared down? Thirdly, power delivery. I have heard that they are a little lazy on the very bottom, with a big mid range hit, into a decent top end. I have no doubt that it will have more usable power that my old rm, but whats your guys' experiences with it?? Just looking for some input & testimonials.

I will be riding mx, as well as the odd hare scramble.

Thanks

Is this the same jonsey that hangs/hung around with nitsch???
You cant go wrong with the 450.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 29, 2005 - 10:17 AM

Like Grayracer said, The bikes are completely different animals. Power is an easy one to get accustomed too. However, whether or not people agree with me the YZF will never corner like your RM. Where the RM would tuck in and go the YZ will tend to push. The yzf is a great bike, i have one, but you will miss the cornering ability of your rm and the light weight but you wont miss any power.

Jason

agreed it will never corner just like a RM - but Storm Racing has a link that will make it turn a hell of a lot better than stock. I use it on my 03 and I am completely satisfied how it has made turning a YZF450 a much better, easier and more fun action than it ever was stock. :naughty: :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450GN

Posted April 29, 2005 - 10:48 AM

cmon you cant tease us saying storm racing has a link and not tell us what it is or where to find it!!

just wondering if someone could please post a link to that...

also my buddy has a little bit older rm250 and says he loves my 04 yz450 in everyway over his other that the weight... he didnt mention corners at all just said my bike is way better ... made me feel good for the day... and i rode his bike in exchange and just love the 4 strokes over the 2s but that is another topic...

• motocrosschump

Posted April 29, 2005 - 11:57 AM

I have had two 03 YZ450, and the power is not LAZY any where, I rode an 05 and I thought it was weak (just coming off my 03)..The YZF are the most reliable thumper made. But if you are concerned about cornering, the new kid on the block RMZ450 carves better than even your RM250. Reliability, well so far no one has had any issues that I know of. Except one guy had a defective Chain Tensioner.

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2005 - 12:49 PM

cmon you cant tease us saying storm racing has a link and not tell us what it is or where to find it!!

It's a rear suspension link, and it's a vailable in the ThumperTalk Store

• Ga426owner

Posted April 29, 2005 - 01:56 PM

just wondering if someone could please post a link to that...

also my buddy has a little bit older rm250 and says he loves my 04 yz450 in everyway over his other that the weight... he didnt mention corners at all just said my bike is way better ... made me feel good for the day... and i rode his bike in exchange and just love the 4 strokes over the 2s but that is another topic...

http://www.stormcycles.com

TT sells them too -

• fowler175

Posted April 30, 2005 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I''ve been looking hard at the rmz450 as well, but finding one is the tricky part, as they sold pretty fast. I have also looked at the crf, but without riding them, I prefer the Yamaha.(Also heard bad things about the Honda's valve train) I know, its probably not an issue, but its enough to make me nervous about the top end grenading spontaniously :naughty: Who knows, I may still end up with an rmz, if I can find one. Adrian, never heard of a nitsch. What is it?

• adrian

Posted April 30, 2005 - 07:48 AM

I thought you were an old friend....Jonsey was his nickname and he hung around with a guy with the last name of Nitsch,he lives in BC somewhere,so I thought it might be you........Nevermind:)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.