HRC tip or holesaw

15 replies to this topic
  • GlocksRock

Posted April 28, 2005 - 08:51 PM

I have all the parts to do the uncorking on my new (to me) BRP except for the exhaust. Is it really worth the $100+ for the HRC tip? I am just a casual trail rider and don't need max performance gains or anything. I just want the bike to run the way it should. I don't have a 2" holesaw either so I would be dropping some money for that too if I go that route.

Thanks

• qadsan

Posted April 28, 2005 - 09:09 PM

Sears sells a 2" bi-metal hole saw for $12 or you can find them on the internet for ~$6.75. The HRC tip will give you more power, but if you're just a casual trail rider, the hole saw will be more cost effective and is good enough for many people.

• jamestoo

Posted April 29, 2005 - 02:01 AM

look on e-bay they do some billet exhaust ends which are pretty good and much cheaper.

The real difference between the hrc tip and stock(other than a bigger exit hole) is that the internal tube on the hrc tip is longer. This extends past the baffle plates inside the end can allowing gasses to exit faster with un interupted flow meaning more power and about 20% more noise :naughty:

James

• TimBrp

Posted April 29, 2005 - 03:20 AM

I'm a trailrider too but I like all the performance I can get. I really noticed a difference with the HRC tip. I also prefer a 172 main jet to the 175 everyone uses. Granted I have no hole in my sidepanel either.

• frankstr

Posted April 29, 2005 - 04:32 AM

IMO the 2" hole saw tip is to loud....... :naughty:

• Roll_it_on

Posted April 29, 2005 - 07:02 AM

I'm a trailrider too but I like all the performance I can get. I really noticed a difference with the HRC tip. I also prefer a 172 main jet to the 175 everyone uses. Granted I have no hole in my sidepanel either.

TimBRP

What are you waiting for?? Put that 175 back in and open up your side plate. It does make a difference :naughty: :naughty:

• Winkel

Posted April 29, 2005 - 08:18 PM

I'm running a 180 with the drilled tip, and standard uncorking. No holes in the side cover and it runs great. I'm at about 800 feet above sea level. Drilled, it's still a lot quieter than most of the Harleys in town.

Winkel

• Weirdo

Posted April 29, 2005 - 08:39 PM

For me... the 2" hole saw ( bi- metal ) did not work..... had to drill holes all around and punch that sucker out :naughty:

The hole saw was barely scratching the tip and was getting ground down.
It ran well with an unpunced out tip, with a bunch of holes encircling the center tip. :naughty:

ride on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swells454

Posted April 30, 2005 - 02:30 PM

The hole saw worked great for me. I followed the basic uncorking procedure and love it. I run a 175 main. Pretty much around 700 msl here. Side panel still covered up. Basic trail riding. Lotsa power! Good luck! :naughty:

• GlocksRock

Posted April 30, 2005 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am in Michigan at about 800 feet ASL and got a 170 main, because this is what was recommended on the xr650.us jetting guide. Some of you guys are running a 175 or 180 at similar elevations with just the basic uncorking. Should I be richer than a 170?

• swells454

Posted April 30, 2005 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Should I be richer than a 170?

You're probably good...I notice my plug seems to foul out after about400-500 miles and I have been thinking about switching out to a 170. Do you experience any fouling?

• GlocksRock

Posted April 30, 2005 - 07:18 PM

I'm not sure swells, I haven't even ridden her yet! I'll let you know though. I'll stick with the 170 and see how it runs.

• TimBrp

Posted May 02, 2005 - 03:40 AM

RollitOn- Doing the airbox/jetting mod you described during this season in the northeast would render me with a really dirty filter after just 30-40 miles. Mudseason here right now. Loving it on the pig though.

• rzm

Posted May 02, 2005 - 10:08 AM

I drilled mine with the bi-metal hole saw and it worked fine. Doesn't seem too loud to me. Louder, but not bad at all.

Haven't tried the HRC tip but I've heard of people concerned because it's not stamped with the DOT(USFS?) SA approval. I've already had a ranger scope it out too. He read the stamping around the stock tip and was satisfied. He didn't care or maybe even realize that it had been drilled out.

Figured I would run with the drilled tip for a while and use the money that I would have spent on the HRC tip for a good slip on muffler later.

• TimBrp

Posted May 02, 2005 - 11:20 AM

As far as I know the HRC and stock drilled tip still have spark arrestors and baffles.

• BIG RED

Posted May 02, 2005 - 12:04 PM

Alway's better a little rich than a little lean i would think a 170 would be a little lean . Have you checked your plug? i just drilled my tip with a basic uncorking and my bike is still quiet. if you look at the massive step down on your factory headers it just seems silly to spend money trying to get more power out of the stock exhaust.
Clint

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.