Street Conversion

12 replies to this topic
  • Christophalous

Posted April 28, 2005 - 03:42 PM

So, in light of the recent gas prices, i have decides to convert my 99 YZ400F in to a street legal bike. However i don't really know what the requirements are. Can anyone help?

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2005 - 03:46 PM

It may vary by county, but in California it's nearly impossible unless the bike 1) has equipment on it that meets the Federal standards for the model year, and 2) had a street license plate in another state before it was brought here.

Best way to get accurate info is from the DMV. It's also harder than any other way. :naughty:

• Christophalous

Posted April 28, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Well i live on the border of Nevada and California, and have a seperate residence in Nevada. But yeah...i was gonna try the DMV but i couldnt get anyone on the phone.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted April 28, 2005 - 05:44 PM

You aint gonna get anywere with the Ca DMV. Id try Nevada 1st.

www.electrexusa.com makes a nice Dakar kit for your bike. I would look there.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:32 PM

I had no trouble converting my YZ, but the regulations here in Canada are not near as strict as California. Like mentioned, Electrex USA makes a great bolt on kit or you can piece together one yourself.

• Christophalous

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:59 PM

Alright, i'll check into this. Thanks for the advice guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2005 - 07:34 PM

If you have a lawful residence in Nevada, I'd guess it would be easier to get it street legal there first. Then California would be more apt to reciprocate. Actually, you would simply take your Nevada plates and registration to the CA DMV and tell them you want to register in CA. They do less checking when you hand them a current registration from another state.

• ArmyGuy

Posted May 09, 2005 - 05:39 PM

I got a 99 YZ400F that is street legal, i got a 99 WR400 Flywheel and ignition coil for about 350 and then went to Steahlyoffroad.com for the really easy wiring harness, denniskirk.com for the head/tail and wired it up. the WR coil puts out 110W so i can run both my 35W halogens plus LED tail with no drag on the motor. I burn the bark off trees.

Dan
PM me if you need help

• Christophalous

Posted May 09, 2005 - 10:55 PM

Are you street legal in california?

• ArmyGuy

Posted May 15, 2005 - 06:36 AM

It prolly wouldnt pass inspection in Cal due to the Dbl level, but i registered mine in AZ, i really feel bad for you CA guys that state sucks for Dual sporters. If you erally want to, there are several options discussed in other threads about pipes and stuff that make you a little quieter (I run a Pro Circuit T-4 with the quiet core insert) Im not super-stealthy but no one seems to complain.

YZ 400 Street legal

• YZ426FROCKS

Posted May 15, 2005 - 03:21 PM

It's just too late to do in CA, you had until 01/01/05 to star the registration, I started mine in Dec 04 and finished in like Feb 05. Here is a pic, you like?
http://i3.photobucke...rear900X675.jpg
http://i3.photobucke.../top900X675.jpg
:)

• Kaptain

Posted May 16, 2005 - 08:56 AM

Man, that is sweet. I think I will do that on the 450 I'm about to buy.

• Christophalous

Posted May 16, 2005 - 10:58 AM

Sweet Ride! But i'm pretty much screwed eh?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.