650L tire choice?

11 replies to this topic
  • Red4x4neck

Posted April 27, 2005 - 06:54 PM

Hello all!

I just flattened my third rear tire in less then a month :naughty: .
The first couple of times were due to nails etc. in my driveway (we just built our house). the third was due to a pinched (under the bead) tube. This last time I am not sure cause the bike is still sitting in the truck. I was just entering the Hood Canal bridge (Puget Sound Washington state) east bound and it went flat after a 50 mile ride on and off road.

Since this tire/rim combo has had several punctures in close interval and I had to limp my bike approximately a mile across the bridge(for lack of safe rescue space) I need a new rear tire.

I currently have an IRC baja tire which I have never been real happy with. Its latteral traction in mudd/gravel is pitiful IMHO. I am posting to find out what You all would choose for a decent wearing Dual sport tire that has some good lateral traction on and off road.

Thanks
Rob

PS Ill update my sig with bike details soon. BTW the site looks awesome....hope to have some good conversati'n.

• krazyinski

Posted April 27, 2005 - 07:34 PM

I Like Maxxis M6006 Great Tire On Off Road . Handles All Conditions Very Well.
I Have About 100 Miles On Mine 50/50 On Off Road On A Dr 650. Only Problem Is They Make You Wish There Were Berms On Ever Street Corner.

• jlpskydive

Posted April 28, 2005 - 02:53 AM

I have a Kenda TrackMaster and like alot. Good wear, decent traction, basically a good, but not great all around tire. They only about 40 bucks also.

• XR Dude

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:39 AM

I've run the stock rear tire about 800 miles and it was worn out, then went to the monster terraflex its got about 1200 miles and is a 1/4 life left and I'm going back to the Kenda k270. The terraflex is the KING offroad but doesn't last long on gravel and pavement. The k270 is just about the opposite, I've run it for over 10 years on different thumpers and get about 3500 miles out of one. It is a 50/50 tire however and suffers in the mud but is very predictable everywhere else, I would highly recommend it if your doing alot of light trail and gravel or highway miles because its cheap and stands up well. Hope this helps.

• Xr650LMartin

Posted April 28, 2005 - 07:18 AM

I have a Kenda trackmaster and I like it a lot! Maybe not the best tire out there but for the price its a good compromise!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 28, 2005 - 09:11 AM

The Flex!

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • splat

Posted April 28, 2005 - 10:31 AM

Terra Flex!!!! (earth bender)

• Red4x4neck

Posted April 28, 2005 - 11:21 AM

Wow that Terra Flex is wicked look'n :naughty:

How does that handle on road :naughty:

I am not much for serious on road work but that looks a tad extreme. I do use my bike to commute sooo....

Good info guys thanks for the responses

Rob

• mikekennedy

Posted April 28, 2005 - 05:20 PM

Hey Folks, I got a Monster 94 650L off a buddy a while ago, and only now am in need of a new rear tire. I got 7100kms on it, and the last 2200 are mine. The Metzler Unicross is what I have on there. Im not sure how long before I took posession he had the tire on, and it is crazy in the mud, with great clearing characteristics, but I cannot find the same tire. Am I blind, or is it no longer a production tire?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:24 PM

The flex is much better on the road than it has any right to be, the way it looks!

Dave

• dabeyta3

Posted April 28, 2005 - 11:27 PM

Get the Tera-flex,,,,,,,I love it for all conditions.

• mikekennedy

Posted April 29, 2005 - 12:08 PM

I found out that the Metzler Unicross is NHS, (Not Highway Suitable). I hate answering my own questions. But for a MX tire, it sure wore well.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.