why is the electric start so poor?

32 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:27 PM

Time to get more specific here.
The long starter cranking times are only needed on my bike for cold starts. The warmer the ambient temp, the faster it starts. Once the bike's warmed up, it starts right up during the day.
My cold start technique:
When cold (and having set for a couple of weeks), what I do is turn the gas on, crack the throttle slightly a couple of times (not much at all), then wait about 1 minute. The idea is to get the carb primed. Then I open the choke, press the magic button, and slightly crack the throttle, then release once while its cranking. It usually starts after about 5-6 seconds max. And I do realize that jetting and valve adjustment will impact this. Unfortunately, even after a battery charge, my starter slows after 5-6 seconds.

Whats the starting ritual for some of you severe cold weather guys?

• new04450

Posted April 29, 2005 - 07:11 PM

I do not want to get flamed either- but I have only used the e-start on my 04 WR 450- and have no problems at all- according to my dealer if you kill the battery it is almost impossible to get it back. I have only 500 miles on mine, and have done the 3 mods airbox, throttle stop and the airbox, oh yeah I also took out the baffle, and this bike starts up 1st time every time- pull the choke, whack the throttle twice, hit the button and she fires right up. The only time this bike was hard to start was when I pulled the grey wire, I did not push the wiring harness together tight- It would start cold, and then if I shut it off, it would not start, until it cooled down some-

• DCaddy

Posted April 29, 2005 - 08:25 PM

I'll usually Kick start my 05 the first time after it has sat for a couple of days. Then I use the e-start throughout the rest of the weekend. Just seems to start better the first time this way and saves battery. I have ran mine down when starting cold before but then I can kick it and start it on the first kick.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 29, 2005 - 11:17 PM

according to my dealer if you kill the battery it is almost impossible to get it back.

I hear this alot, but its just BS, I'm not sure if the dealer guys are just that ignorant about their own products or if they're hopeing to sell people new batterys everytime they run em down but bike batterys will recharge just as easily as a car battery. The only time you might have trouble is if you left the battery dead for months before trying to recharge it.

• beezer

Posted April 30, 2005 - 04:33 AM

Once the battery goes dead its over. I left the igniton button on and the battery would never come back.

My dealer told me that the WR batteries have a short shelf life so make sure the replacement you get is fresh.

Old style batteries had acid added to them when sold and had a long shelf life. They also leaked acid all over the bike.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted April 30, 2005 - 06:35 AM

And I've had zero trouble with my e-starter. Cold, warm, flooded etc. Its flawless everytime.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted April 30, 2005 - 10:58 AM

I've noticed many of you guys who've dialed in your 450 jetting have been reporting no startup problems at all. Guess its time for me to take a closer look at mine.
My Canadian model still has the stock jetting in it (richer than US models) and the only thing I've noticed is the occasional slight backfire when I'm off the throttle at high speeds. And, of course, the hard to start at cold temps with estart.
Just rode this morning and it started up fine after about 4 seconds of estart. The ambient temp is about 70F here today in SoCal.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 30, 2005 - 01:10 PM

Once the battery goes dead its over. I left the igniton button on and the battery would never come back.

My dealer told me that the WR batteries have a short shelf life so make sure the replacement you get is fresh.

Old style batteries had acid added to them when sold and had a long shelf life. They also leaked acid all over the bike.

I recharged mine from totally dead and havent had any problems at all with it. :naughty:

• kootscoot

Posted April 30, 2005 - 02:18 PM

I have a new 04 wr450 and after a few rides where the E start was pretty sketchy, it now flames up right away. I follow these rules. Make sure gas is on, pull choke, do not toych throttle , hit button... she purrs!!! :naughty:

• Stinson

Posted April 30, 2005 - 06:36 PM

My starter works perfect on my 03. Never had a problem. If the bike doesnt fire right up after its been sitting for a week or so, ill kick it even though the battery as never gotten weak. I ride my bike at least once a week summer and winter, so maybe thats why the battery is always good. Get a good battery and dial in your jetting!!!!

• orcmike

Posted May 01, 2005 - 06:08 PM

The battey in my '03 WR450 is toast! Even with a battery tender attatched for a few days it won’t hold a charge. Had a Super Moto race on Sat and after a crash- click, click, nothing. Needless to say I finished last in that race! Anyone have a part # for a replacement that can be bought from a local Pep Boys type store?

Thanks,

• new04450

Posted May 01, 2005 - 07:08 PM

I should add- to the dead it is gone- What they said was- If you drain it down to dead, and DO NOT PROPERLY Charge it back with a trickle charger- Just kicking it and riding will not really help a dead battery- Sorry about that

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted May 01, 2005 - 07:16 PM

I should add- to the dead it is gone- What they said was- If you drain it down to dead, and DO NOT PROPERLY Charge it back with a trickle charger- Just kicking it and riding will not really help a dead battery- Sorry about that

ahh yeah that makes much more sense and is 100% correct, unlike a car, a bikes charging system isnt capable of fully recharging a completely dead battery, its just there to keep the battery charged as you ride.

Also its pretty easy to ruin one of these small batterys by charging it too fast with a 10amp charger or something, a 2 or 3amp trickle charger for 6-8 hours is the best choice. :naughty:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.