why is the electric start so poor?

32 replies to this topic
  • motionmama

Posted April 27, 2005 - 04:39 PM

:naughty: Ok did what was recommended seems some idiots that passed my bike grabbed the throttle and there was so much gas it was rediculous. Ran the old gas out of the carb also. Took out the plug a swivel rachet works just fine.On the second kick it ran. I shut it off and tried to restart later with the electric start and it doesn't seem to do much. Why have the electric start if it takes forever to crank it over? Does the 2004 upgrade make the bike start easier with the electric start? thank you. :naughty:

• waterdog3

Posted April 27, 2005 - 04:53 PM

On My 2004 Wr450, The Starter Sucks Also. Actually I Think Its The Battery. I Was Told That Autozone Carries A Sealed Battery That Will Fit In The Battery Slot That Has Double The Cranking Amps Of The Stock Battery.....just Don't Hold The Button Down Over 3-5 Seconds. It Should Turn The Motor Over A Lot Faster, And Make Start-up A Little Quicker. "just One Mans Thoughts"

• WR_Woody

Posted April 27, 2005 - 05:33 PM

From reading your post, and please don't flame me, you kicked it over once and then tried the electric starter. It is not the same as a car where you can jump start it and let it sit and idle to charge the battery. You have to rev the motor over a certain RPM to begin recharging the battery.

On a Goldwing (and no I don't own one, it's my dad's) it has to rev over 3500 RPMs to begin charging the battery. On my street bike it is somewhere between 3000 and 3500 to begin recharging the battery.

On my '05 WR, I have learned the battery will start it twice before it runs out of juice to start it again. I will probably only use the electric when I have stalled the bike and in a situation where kick starting it would be too difficult.......

These are only my thoughts on your delimma.......

-=Woody=-

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 27, 2005 - 06:18 PM

I've only used the kickstarter once and that was when I broke the starter button in a crash :naughty: . I think the key is keep the battery charged when your not riding (Battery Tender Jr. :naughty: ) and get the jetting dialed in for your conditions. I think once the battery has been trashed there's no saving it. I use estart exclusively and never had a problem ('04 WR) but then again I don't live where it gets real cold either.

• ETP

Posted April 27, 2005 - 06:25 PM

Seems to me, that to save on wieght, Yamaha designed the new starter system as small and light as possible. The charging barely keeps up and the battery is just barely enough. My 03 has started better since I recently bought a Battery Tender and charge it the night before a ride. Good thing the kick start is there as a backup. A higher capacity battery would be great. Anyone know what models would fit in the stock location?

• wr429j

Posted April 27, 2005 - 06:40 PM

never had a problem on my 05 even after some pretty long cranks after being waterlogged. Only kicked it just to see how that was. Hope that my starter hangs in there!!!!

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 27, 2005 - 06:53 PM

My 2003 has 13,893. miles on it and the starter is the original and works fine for me every time. I never need to kick it :naughty: Keep the battery charged up and use the right starter jet on the choke circuit.:naughty:

• Mike Grady

Posted April 27, 2005 - 07:05 PM

I keep my battery on my 05 on a battery tender and I have never used the kicker until I broke the starter button. Then it was only for a day. When I first got it I could not get it to start on many occasions. I was worried that I would run the battery down. Knowing the bike helps like on mine when cold choke on 2 twists on the throttle and then hit the button for 2 seconds. Wait about 5 seconds and give it a quarter twist release it and wait a second then hit the button again works for me. When hot no gas and also I turn the gas off about 60 seconds before hitting the kill button when I am going to turn it off. In cold weather the engine cools quickly so again if it does not start the first second or two no gas just pull the choke and when it starts shut the choke down again. Learn your bikes paticular staring procedures and memorize them and you may not have to crank it so much. Mine seems to start for me within 5 seconds of cranking everytime if I use my procedures. Hope this helps

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 28, 2005 - 03:11 AM

I'm baffled by these complaints of starter problems :naughty:

My 04 starts nearly instantly with the E start unless its real cold, I've never needed a battery tender to keep the battery charged (even when it sat for a couple months over the winter) and I can start mine a heck of alot more times than twice before the battery goes dead. It even started right up on christmas (5 degrees, 18 inches of snow, hadnt been running in 8 or 9 weeks)

Did I get an amazingly good E start system or did you guys get lemons? :naughty: :D

• gregwr450f

Posted April 28, 2005 - 03:42 AM

I have never had a problem with my e-start, it turns overs hard and fast every time.
04 wr450 that is.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fredneck75

Posted April 28, 2005 - 04:24 AM

No complaints yet on my 05. Starts quickly and easily. Only time I had any problem starting it was when I was playing around with the jetting, and even then, it still was cranking over good, just taking longer to fire. That's all fixed now though. :naughty:

• ETP

Posted April 28, 2005 - 05:39 AM

My 03 is by far the best bike I have ever owned :naughty: , and the electric start is a dream. Since I did the torque limiter upgrade, I have 100% confidence in it. :naughty:
However, I still feel that the older stock battery (03) only has enough juice to start the bike if the conditions are optimum, like jetting, air temp, and fully charged bat. The cranking time is limited.
When I finally replace the stock battery, it would be nice to upgrade to one with a higher capacity.
I also like the fact that there is a kickstarter as a backup, just in case.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted April 28, 2005 - 05:45 AM

I would suggest that the 450's with battery trouble most likely didn't have the batteries charged correctly during the initial pre-delivery set up, when the bike was new. It is crucial that the first charging of the battery is done properly. Most battery problems on new bikes are due to a quick charge up at the dealer, just before you pick up your new bike.

• thumper_dad

Posted April 28, 2005 - 05:52 AM

I seen a battery thread on here a few months back and after reading it decided to order a battery charger, its the same one that probably almost every dirtbiker has, CLICK it comes with some permanent connectors that you actually attach to the battery so you can just plug the battery into the charger without removing the seat.

I don't have battery issues. I can press my starter button for as long as it takes and my battery don't get low.

You get the charger, your problems go away.

Rich

• ETP

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:08 AM

I seen a battery thread on here a few months back and after reading it decided to order a battery charger, its the same one that probably almost every dirtbiker has, CLICK it comes with some permanent connectors that you actually attach to the battery so you can just plug the battery into the charger without removing the seat.

I don't have battery issues. I can press my starter button for as long as it takes and my battery don't get low.

You get the charger, your problems go away.

Rich

I now use a charger and it still doesn't work nearly as well as the first year.
The longcranking time just isn't there. Thats why I'm thinking about a new battery. Higher capacity because more is always better. :naughty:
Maybe my bike is now harder to start. Will look into jetting and valve adjust soon.

• JTWR450

Posted April 28, 2005 - 07:11 AM

My 04 has never missed a beat. Sat for months during winter and all I did was unplug the battery for the winter. Plugged it back in and it started right up. Never had a problem. I get the impression that a few of them out there might be a little finicky. I have heard that a new battery will solve this quickly and easily.

• Helithumper

Posted April 28, 2005 - 08:46 AM

Only problem with my 03 came after I crashed and injured (scared) myself pretty good. Got back to the trailer, loaded the bike but was not in the frame of mind to push the button and shut the electrical system down. Couple days later pulled the bike out to put it away and the battery was dead. Absolutely no way in heck to recharge a almost dead battery with enough juice to start it, all it would do is click. Replaced with the higher amp battery and she works great. Have also heard from other riders even if you add a bare bones street legal kit you need to replace the stator to supply more juice for charging.

• 4StrokeNoSmoke

Posted April 28, 2005 - 11:57 AM

I agree, the starter on the 04' sucks as well. My 04' ran very lean when I first got it and I later adjusted the fuel mix get the idle better and more low end crawl out of it. The richer fuel mix made it start easier as well. Also, I push my bike out into the sun for at least 30 minutes before the first ride each day, it seems to help. My battery has become very weak and it's slowly becoming useless. I typically kick mine the first crank of each ride. I do love the starter when the bike is hot and I get stuck on a huge hill in a ditch or something.

"It's your world I just ride my WR on it!"

• RichBaker

Posted April 28, 2005 - 03:10 PM

I've never had a dead battery on my '03, never put a charger on it, and have never run the battery down to where I had to kick......I think you all need to learn to properly jet a carburetor.....that makes all the difference!Yamaha sets it up so it'll pass EPA requirements, just like all the rest of the manufacturers, it's up to us, the owners, to make it right....it's been this way for 25 years or more, you should be used to it by now. I've had to jet every bike I've ever owned.... :naughty:

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 28, 2005 - 05:38 PM

I've never had a dead battery on my '03, never put a charger on it, and have never run the battery down to where I had to kick......I think you all need to learn to properly jet a carburetor.....that makes all the difference!Yamaha sets it up so it'll pass EPA requirements, just like all the rest of the manufacturers, it's up to us, the owners, to make it right....it's been this way for 25 years or more, you should be used to it by now. I've had to jet every bike I've ever owned.... :naughty:

Yeah, thats what I was thinkin too. The only time my battery has ever been dead is when I did the same thing Helithumper did, left the ignition switch on for a couple days. It was so dead the little red light wouldnt even come on... put a trickle charge battery charger on it for 8 hours and it fired right up, havent had any problems since.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.