Oil Temp dip stick

10 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted April 27, 2005 - 05:14 AM

Thinking of getting an oil temp dip dtick from XR's only (man are they hard to order from - you have to call it in - no online way to order)

What is the "normal" operating temperature? I am thinking this is a nice to have doo-dad..

• XR Dude

Posted April 27, 2005 - 05:42 AM

My 650L runs at about 195 normal riding on the highway. Wide open for 2 miles or more 250. Slow tight trails 235 or so. If your bike is stock and no mods to the jetting or carb you will run higher temps, probably closer to 275-300 as I've read from past posts. Hope this helps.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted April 28, 2005 - 04:46 AM

Your oil will run even hotter if you have the Acerbis 6-gallon tank. It hugs the frame tight, and doesn't let any air through.

• XR Dude

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:25 AM

Your oil will run even hotter if you have the Acerbis 6-gallon tank. It hugs the frame tight, and doesn't let any air through.

Good point

• JackAttack

Posted April 28, 2005 - 07:12 AM

Thinking of getting an oil temp dip dtick from XR's only (man are they hard to order from - you have to call it in - no online way to order)

Waste of money IMHO.

:naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 28, 2005 - 08:20 AM

I agree with Jack. Although I've bought two of them....

• redmanrandyed

Posted April 28, 2005 - 08:40 AM

My XR's Only oil temp dipstick reads from around 150 to 190. 190 being in the slow tight wood trails.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 28, 2005 - 09:08 AM

The temp dipstick makes a pretty good jetting tool, since lean=hot. There have been a few times it's told me something is amiss, as well.
Do you need it? No. But if you regard it as a tool, it can be useful.

Dave

• TimBrp

Posted April 28, 2005 - 10:27 AM

They may be more effective in a machine that is older and air cooled. The 650's dipstick goes into the frame which is used as storage and to cool the oil as other xr's are. I'd say there's probably a 10 degree or so difference between what's in the frametube and what's in the engine. Something to keep in mind when your staring at the temp.

• JackAttack

Posted April 28, 2005 - 11:38 AM

Temp dipsticks that go in the frame are a joke, and do not acurately give you the operating temp. The temp dipsticks that go into the engine might be different.

I think they have temp strips that stick to the side of the head that would be better.

I have a temp dipstick on my 650r. It's a piece of crap, I can barely read it now that the water has gotten inside the lens. Sometimes I can get the temp up to 300F and the bike is fine. Other times, the stick does not register even close to that and the bike is boiling over. :naughty:

:naughty:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:31 PM

You won't know what the oil temp in the engine is (although oil is being pumped from the head to the resevoir, spraying on the dipstick all the time), but its a comparative tool. It'd be useful if it had no numbers on it at all.

You're getting 300F on a water-cooled bike? That seems pretty hot.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.