650L how's your frame holding up?

10 replies to this topic
  • Quigley

Posted April 26, 2005 - 07:30 PM

I seriously want one, but have heard nightmares about the subframe cracking, anyone experience this? i don't want to worry about dropping the bike a lot, will the 650L take the abuse? :naughty:

• dabeyta3

Posted April 27, 2005 - 12:24 AM

I have over 7000 hard miles on my 93 XR650L. Never any frame problems.

• michaeln

Posted April 27, 2005 - 02:01 AM

Over 38K miles on mine with zero frame problems.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 27, 2005 - 03:35 AM

I believe the weak part is the section that goes under the rear fender, that holds on the bolt-on section that supports the taillight.
People put big racks on the back, and a lot of weight will crack the frame under the seat.
No luggage = no problem.

Dave

• ghoti

Posted April 27, 2005 - 04:44 AM

What Dave said.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LotsOfBikes

Posted April 27, 2005 - 04:54 AM

In the first six months that I owned my '95 650L, I broke the subframe just in front of where the rear muffler mounting bolt is. I'm not sure how exactly I broke it, but it wasn't from any sideways action.. I might have cased it really hard. I've gone over some really big jumps on that beast.. I just wanted it welded, Honda replaced the frame!!

A few years ago, I broke the frame in the area where the swing-arm connects to the frame. It broke just below the left-side swingarm mounting bolt. Aparently it is a common place on the frame for breakage on XR600's that are raced hard (my 650L has seen that too.) Richard Throwaldson welded it up for me, then I had it powder-coated red.. I've probably put over 20,000 miles on it since... The first 30,000 were harder that this last 20,000.

• August

Posted April 27, 2005 - 04:38 PM

Richard Throwaldson welded it up for me, then I had it powder-coated red.. I've probably put over 20,000 miles on it since... The first 30,000 were harder that this last 20,000.

Wow, that is a little piece of history you have there huh? I didnt know Rich Thorwaldson, but last year I picked up a CBR600RR race bike from a nice AFM racer in Reno for my friend in Florida. He was telling me all about the bike and his experience racing in the AFM. The CBR had gotten a small puncture in the radiator, and this guy was friends with Rich who plugged the hole using some type of epoxy...it is still good to this day after a race season and lots of street miles.

I was sad to hear he passed away at Infinion last year, sounds like he was one really cool guy with loads of talent!

• LotsOfBikes

Posted April 28, 2005 - 04:42 AM

I raced against Richard Thorwaldson locally at motocross races.. I never beat him. He was xtremely fast - especially for such an 'old man.' :naughty:

Check out www.richardthorwaldson.com. It is a website with a forum. Lots of pictures and lot of posts from around the time he passed away.

• Quigley

Posted April 29, 2005 - 01:22 AM

I believe the weak part is the section that goes under the rear fender, that holds on the bolt-on section that supports the taillight.
People put big racks on the back, and a lot of weight will crack the frame under the seat.
No luggage = no problem.

Dave

Thanks, the frame issue's i have heard about are all on that part of the subframe you are describing, and ive also heard that it's better to weld than to replace the frame because if you dont align everything properly, it will stress the frame, which i suspect is what might have happened to LotsOfBikes. Ive also heard that if you plan on carrying anything on the area in question, it is good to reinforce by welding a triangle configuration in order to disperse the stress. I think ive found my next bike. :naughty:
One last question, i know about larger tanks, but if i keep the stocker, do those air scoops break off after the first spill?

• ghoti

Posted April 29, 2005 - 04:45 AM

I've watched mine slide down the road after I lost the front end. Just broke a turn signal lens. It slid on the buddy peg, side cover, the clutch lever and an elephant ear. Several other minor git offs in the dirt and just scratches.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted April 29, 2005 - 04:57 AM

Whatever you do, don't buy the Acerbis 6-gallon tank. Get the IMS! Those fins on the stock tank do what they are intended to do very well, especially if you keep the bike leaned out with the stock jetting and the smog garbage. If you get the Acerbis tank, get the XR400 oil cooler and lines; you'll have to weld some threaded bolt holes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.