Thanks for info on jetting, fuel screw and Lowedog AIS removal kit

4 replies to this topic
  • JeffWR

Posted April 26, 2005 - 05:53 PM

It's been raining the last 3 days so I thought it was time to rejet with the JD jetting kit, Zip-ty fuel screw and Lowedog AIS removal kit. I have to admit before I tackled this little project I was a little hesitant being I have never rejetted anything or pounded aluminum plugs into an expensive cylinder head before. Thanks to all the forum user input I have read, it gave me confidence and motivation to perform the work. :D By the way I already have done the free mods and PMB insert.

I just got to ride it for the first time since completing the work and was very surprised at the difference. :naughty: All I can say it was well worth it to me :D Now I understand much better what running lean means, give me a little rich anyday. Thanks again for all your help. :naughty:

Next is the Boyesen Quickshot and #40 leakjet.

One thing I really noticed was that I had to turn the idle adjustment screw up probably a full turn. Is this normal?

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 26, 2005 - 06:02 PM

idle circuit may be lean. Try a 48 pilot, 1.75 turns on the fuel screw. You will find that on your current set up after riding you will have a high idle and have to turn it down later. sign of a lean circuit. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JeffWR

Posted April 27, 2005 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the input, I'm confused a little. Sorry, I should have given more info. I'm a rookie to this jetting stuff but I used JD's recomendations for 900' ASL, i.e. blue needle #3, main jet 170 and 1.5 turns out on fuel screw. I removed the snorkel and put in PMB insert along with Lowedog's AIS removal kit. I figured I would be on the rich side at all throttle positions and just have to deal with a slight hesitation at 0 to 1/4 throttle openings (hopefully the #40 leak jet and quickshot will rid me of that).

I assume then that I have a 45 (stock) pilot now, sorry didn't check but reading the Jetting D-Base it seems that way. So this gives me a slower idle than with stock jetting because it may be a lean idle circuit? :naughty:

Thanks for the help, I can see why it's fun to tinker with these things, especially when the weather is less desireable, Jeff

• DesertWR

Posted April 27, 2005 - 10:59 AM

I pulled out my 45 and put in a 48, changed the leak to 40 and put in the JD Red #5-My bike runs perfect!! Get rid of the 45 :naughty:

• JeffWR

Posted April 27, 2005 - 12:18 PM

I did a search for the pilot jet #48 part number and found this "The stock pilot jet (Yamaha calls this the slow jet?) I believe is a 45, but the diagram gives a part number for the 48 [4MX-14948-06-00]." Is this correct?

Thanks in advance, Jeff

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.