How Difficult is it to true a crank?

2 replies to this topic
  • Rick_Graham

Posted April 26, 2005 - 04:16 PM

I understand the concept of truing the crank but just how much of a PIA is it? I can do it between live centers with dial indicators but just how much beating does it really take? I'd like a little insight since I'll be splitting the cases for the first time to fix a seized rod bearing. TIA Rick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2005 - 04:52 PM

This is a very peculiar operation; it's done with dial indicators and a big heavy lead mallet. :naughty:

How much of a beating it will take depends on the crank. The bigger and stronger, the more they resist truing. You do NOT true them on the same surface or setup that you check them on. A sturdy surface with a lead or copper sheet over it, or real hardwood is what I've always used.

Checking should not be done using the center drillings at the ends of the axles, though, but on a stand where each axle is supported on a pair of rollers. next best would be to rest the crank on it's own mainbearings. This more nearly duplicates the crank running in place, and is more accurate than spinning between centers.

Having said that, if you don't have the right jigs to do the presswork, you shouldn't attempt it unless you're experienced enough to make something up. You may want to "sublet" changing the bearing and truing the crank.

• Rick_Graham

Posted April 26, 2005 - 07:04 PM

"Checking should not be done using the center drillings at the ends of the axles, though, but on a stand where each axle is supported on a pair of rollers. next best would be to rest the crank on it's own mainbearings."

Thats exactly the type of advice I was looking for :naughty:

" You do NOT true them on the same surface or setup that you check them on."

I guess I should have said "check it between centers" but that's the easy part. Fixtures and jigs can be fabricated as needed without a problem as I run a machine shop and these "government jobs" can be fit in from time to time :naughty:

Thanks for the advice grayracer513, you and others like you are why this place is so cool!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.