Buying a 01 YZF426

6 replies to this topic
  • Miguel159

Posted April 26, 2005 - 04:03 PM

I've found a 01 426 and I need advice from those who have them. This is a first dirt bike for me so I'd like to know if there are specific problems to be aware of for that model year. The bike has bark busters, IMS tank (with stock one incl), aluminum skid plate and frame guards, digital speedo and new tires. It also has a WR 5th gear installed. I'm not sure the total hrs on the bike, but it seems pretty clean with normal looking frame/component wear. I'm going to have a reputable mechanic look at it but he only deals KTM and can't adjust the valves (no valve tools for a Yami apparently?). I've agreed on $4k Cdn. He had it consigned for $5k.
Advice :naughty: :naughty:

It does look pretty trick.

(If it matters, I'm 6'4", 210 lbs with only street (extensive) and big Dual P dirt experience.)

• rickmiester

Posted April 26, 2005 - 08:25 PM

hey miguel159 baught one in cal a couple of months ago , with fly wheel weight, tag bars and tag head end ,dr d hot start,hydraulic clutch,frame guards,fmf q iv,new sprockets and o ring chain,hot cams auto decompression exhaust cam,stainless steel oil filter for 3k it seems a little high priced should be around 3.4k or less , maybe they are harder to get a hold of in canada .

• ToooFaarOutt

Posted April 27, 2005 - 05:38 AM

Last may I bought my 01 wr426 and it had all the extras. Over size pegs, White bros e-series exuasts, Renthal fatbars, Renthal sprokets, ASV levers, thumb decompression lever, One industries graphics, Renthal grips, tires were like new, and all the paint on the frame was not rubbed off. Odometer said it had 330 miles on it. After I had bought the bike I was talking to the son and he told me that they had never rolled back the odometer. I believe what he said to be true as I had taken the bike out 3 times and let me tell you . Lots of damage from rocks and sand on plastics and frame. I paid $2500.00 DO SOME SHOPPING AROUND!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cedric

Posted April 27, 2005 - 07:29 AM

I don't think it was too bad of a deal, bikes are definitely priced differently here in Canada (more $$ than in US) due to differences in the value of our dollar on a world scale. You might have done a bit better, but you could certainly do a lot worse than $4k for a 2001. A new one here is about $8k MSRP.

Here are some current ads from the Buy n Sell (www.buysell.com)

2000 Ymaha WR400 , asking $4150 Tel: 403-

2001 Yamaha YZF426 stored last 2yrs, orginal graphics tires, new chain & sprockets this spring, geared for bush, $4350 Tel: 403-

2001 YZ 250 F, 2001 Enzo susp, well maintained, very good cond, $4100 obo Tel: 403-

2001 YZ426F, very clean, never raced, needs nothing, must see, $4000 obo, 625-

And, just for fun - is this guy for real or just on crack? Check out that price!

Go anywhere with this street legal 2003 KX500, Renthal fat bar, speedo, pipe guard, hi output E line stator, new, $9500 obo, Tel: 403-

• Canuck

Posted April 27, 2005 - 07:44 AM

I've found a 01 426 and I need advice from those who have them. This is a first dirt bike for me so I'd like to know if there are specific problems to be aware of for that model year. The bike has bark busters, IMS tank (with stock one incl), aluminum skid plate and frame guards, digital speedo and new tires. It also has a WR 5th gear installed. I'm not sure the total hrs on the bike, but it seems pretty clean with normal looking frame/component wear. I'm going to have a reputable mechanic look at it but he only deals KTM and can't adjust the valves (no valve tools for a Yami apparently?). I've agreed on $4k Cdn. He had it consigned for $5k.
Advice :naughty: :naughty:

It does look pretty trick.

(If it matters, I'm 6'4", 210 lbs with only street (extensive) and big Dual P dirt experience.)

if you have already paid, not a bad deal if the bike is in good shape. make sure the previous owner teaches you the starting drill with the decomp lever. once learned, bike is a cinch to start.
if you have not firmed up the deal, yammy canada has great deals on financing new bikes regardless of model year. Any new unsold models from 04'/ 03' etc. 6 months no interest, you can pick up a brand new wr450 04' for $6800 CDN. If interested in this route, pm me and i will provide you with dealer contact info.

cheers

• daytripper63

Posted April 27, 2005 - 08:36 AM

If your willing to travel to Sacramento CA. I have an 02 wr426 with about 300 miles with 450 decomp cam, Tag bars, skid plates, bark busters, etc. I cant remember all the extras, and this bike has not left my garage in over a year( no time to ride)
Robert
916-257-1278

• banffboy

Posted April 27, 2005 - 09:39 AM

I've got an 01' WR for sale, all done up for woods riding :naughty:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.