Chain adjuster bolt FROZEN

2 replies to this topic
  • radish150

Posted April 26, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Seems my right chain adjuster bolt has been backed out too much and is frozen solid. No 10mm will budge it, it's getting rounded off now, tried pointed vice grips, it's frozen solid. The real beatch is I can't see how removing the swing arm is going to help anything. The only thing I can think of now is to heat up the aluminum where the bolt is threated into the swing arm and hope it will loosen up enuf to move it? Why the heck is this thing doing this to me? Is the back side of the bolt inside the swing arm just corroded?

Arrrrggh!
Mark Sheldon :naughty: :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted April 26, 2005 - 12:30 PM

If you have access to a good penetrating oil, then soak it good for a while and see if that helps. If you don't have access to a good penetrating oil, then heat up the area that's frozen and melt some beeswax or candle wax into the threads so it penetrates into things as far as possible. Let things cool for a few minutes and then try removing the bolt.

People are often shocked to see how well wax can sometimes work on frozen fasteners and then ask me why it works so well. The first thing that happens is the wax melts with heat and turns into a liquid. Then the liquid wax moves into the tiny nooks & crannys (threads, joints, etc) via capillary action, because of molecular adhesion, which is the phenomena that causes a liquid to overcome the pull of gravity. The heating & cooling cycle helps to break the bond between the two metals and the wax provides lubrication (paraffin wax is heavy hydrocarbon that comes from crude oil) to assist with the removal of the offending nut, bolt, shank, stud, etc. The wax trick does work well in some instances and it's definitely worth a try.

• BEAN329

Posted April 26, 2005 - 07:44 PM

After you try all that other stuff get yourself some left hand drill bits and drill the sucker out. Then when you install the new ones use a anti-seize compound on them. Then whenever you change a tire or chain make it a point to remove them and lube them up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.