BRP is so damn thirsty

11 replies to this topic
  • BrettJ

Posted April 26, 2005 - 05:29 AM

hey guys I have an uncorked 650R and it is geared pretty low to speed about 145kmph (87mph) and im only gettin about 80km (48miles) till reserve from what I have read this doesn't sound right, plus this is road riding. My guess is gearing but would that have increased my fuel consumption that much?

• qadsan

Posted April 26, 2005 - 07:55 AM

My MPG varies a lot depending on my riding and gearing. If I'm riding agressive and spending a lot of time in the lower gears, then I'll get ~20 MPG or sometimes even less. For most of my riding, I believe I get ~25 to ~30 MPG, but I can get closer to 35+ MPG if my gearing is changed and I'm more steady on the throttle and cruising a lot. I haven't accurately check my MPG for a couple years, but I can usually get ~65 to ~75 miles on my IMS 3.2 gallon fuel tank before hitting reserve and get 100+ miles including reserve from this fuel tank if I'm careful.

• froride1

Posted April 26, 2005 - 08:44 AM

You need a big tank. I have an IMS 4.6 gal tank and get around 120 to 150 miles out of it before it goes on reserve. On the stock tank I could get 50 or 60 miles out of it before it went on reserve. The pig is a thirsty beast.

• kyleproject

Posted April 26, 2005 - 08:46 AM

Anyone know how big the stock tank is? I hit reserve at about 6L and could have sworn it said it had a 4L reserve. I ran it dry on the way into work (had to push a few blocks to the gas station) today and it only took 8.5L

• froride1

Posted April 26, 2005 - 09:16 AM

I think its 2.3 gallons or about 8.8L

• aussiexr

Posted April 26, 2005 - 01:50 PM

Brett
What gearing are you using I run 14/46 and on the road std tank get 100/120k`s before reserve,On the trails it`s about90/100k`s depending on how narley the terrain.Is the bike uncorked,mines setup with 172 main 68s pilot Rush aircleaner and HRC exhaust tip.
Steve B

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BrettJ

Posted April 26, 2005 - 04:01 PM

I was too lazy too check yesterday, When I change the gearing this weekend I'll tell you. I'm pretty sure it's real low, the problem is I like the gear just want better economy and slightly lower evs at high speed. You can't have both:(

• frankstr

Posted April 26, 2005 - 05:04 PM

I did 65 miles on trails the other day till i hit reserve, I never even leaned it over to get all the gas from the left side, Just switched to reserve and started it again and rode to the truck................ :naughty:
Thats with the stock tank, Havent used the 4.3 Clarke tank yet....

• CAM2R

Posted April 26, 2005 - 07:05 PM

Running 13/48 I got 53 miles out of the stocker (mostly tight trails)
running 13/50 I was out of gas at 51 miles (again 2nd gear stuff)

looking forward to the range with the clarke 4.3 that I have yet to run as well- especially with the new combo 13/52 - that'll keep the front end light :naughty:

• frankstr

Posted April 26, 2005 - 07:22 PM

13/52 seems awful low there cam, I'm running 14/50 and thats as low as i need, I ride tite trails.......... :naughty:

• swells454

Posted April 30, 2005 - 02:39 PM

With stock gearing and uncorked...I pretty consistently get about 60-65 miles of trail riding (semi-aggressive) before Reserve.

I just put on the IMS 4.6 so we'll see what happens next week....at least it won't be because of me that everyone has to stop riding to find a gas station now! :naughty:

• XR/CRDave

Posted April 30, 2005 - 03:54 PM

I usually run my stock tank for all normal rides, which is fine for jaunts out of camp, at 50 or so miles. When I plan on big rides I through on my dez 4.6 IMS tank. This way I don't have to deal with the extra weight and width around the tank. Plus the swap only takes 15 mins so not a big deal. A good compromise would be an IMS 3.2.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.