650R won't start, backfires

15 replies to this topic
  • superchargeme

Posted April 25, 2005 - 09:30 PM

I have a 2001 BRP that I bought as a project bike (I'm supercharging it, but that's a WHOLE different story).

I rode it stock (except uncorked) while working a tour in Mexico. As the tour progressed, it seemed to get harder and harder to start, but always did. I ran the very last of the Mexican fuel out and filled it with Amurican premium before putting it away.

I went to start it a few weeks later and it just wouldn't come to life. It is still stock except uncorking- no supercharger or similar wierdness) And I tried every trick- choke, no choke, half choke, gas, no gas, etc, etc. After about 1000 kicks over a couple days, I was kicking it and gas started running out the carb. I tried the smack the carb with the screwdriver trick to no avail. I kicked it anyway. At either this point or earlier (I forget). It backfired a bit upon kicking, but still wouldn't start.

I took the carb off to work on fitting the blower. At this point I found a bunch of carbon dust in the intake tract (from backfiring I ASSUME). I took the float bowl off and the float apart and everything looked good.

Now I need the bike running (without blower) to work another tour this weekend. ANy ideas before it put it back together?
Thanks

• AzMtnThumper

Posted April 25, 2005 - 11:22 PM

Could it be a plugged or gummed up pilot jet??? I've had bikes that were too lean on the pilot backfire when trying to start. As dumb as it sounds, I'd put a new spark plug in it too (if you haven't already).

• JackAttack

Posted April 25, 2005 - 11:22 PM

Your intake valves are probably tight.

:naughty:

• AzMtnThumper

Posted April 25, 2005 - 11:25 PM

Your intake valves are probably tight.

:naughty:

That makes sense too.

• dabeyta3

Posted April 25, 2005 - 11:26 PM

Check the valves

• TimBrp

Posted April 26, 2005 - 03:21 AM

Check the valves as stated. The intakes tighten up. Also was the bike sputtering a bit on the low end prior to the not-start issue. My bike got something in the pilot and acted similar. Had to keep it in the midrange to continue running.

• frankstr

Posted April 26, 2005 - 04:40 AM

Adjust your valves and replace the spark plug...............
Keep us informed............. :naughty:

• jason_dempsey

Posted April 26, 2005 - 07:22 AM

call xrs only

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cat0020

Posted April 26, 2005 - 10:04 AM

Is it fludded? Have you check the sparkplug? Does the exhaust smell like fuel after kicking?

• superchargeme

Posted April 26, 2005 - 10:26 PM

I just looked at it some more.

Valves are pretty good (.005" - .008"). Plug looked OK.

I put the carb back on, plug back in (don't have new one yet) and wore out my right leg.

Results- it teased me, running for a few revs and dying- but only with choke ON. With choke OFF it didn't even think about running. When I pulled the plug back out- it was wet (after kicking with choke on). Seems too rich, but it only thinks about running with choke ON. Also a slight dribble of gas from the carb, but not flowing like last time.

I will get a new plug and some carb cleaner tomorrow and report back.
Thanks

• TimBrp

Posted April 27, 2005 - 03:24 AM

Clean the carb. Sounds like a plugged pilot Jet/Circuit. Check to make sure your air filter isn't over-oiled either. This will lead to a rich condition. Your bike should run rich when first started as it needs more gas to warm up, hence the choke. Seems like fuel starvation to me. However, it could be electrical too.

• pchansen

Posted April 27, 2005 - 03:46 PM

Had the EXACT same problem. It was the plug. Wore my leg out. Pulled the plug- it looked fine- replaced it anyway and the beast fired on the first kick. Go figure.

• superchargeme

Posted April 28, 2005 - 08:20 AM

FIANLLY!!

It lives!

I put in a new plug and kicked to no avail. Then I took the carb apart (3rd or 4th time) and douched everything with brake cleaner. Then I noticed that the float bowl was really sticky (didn't float up and down well). So I thoroughly cleaned the pin and hole so it moved freely and reassembled. No more drip out of the carb at least. Then I kicked and kicked, then I finally put on my MX boot and REALLY kicked (I had a blister on my foot from kicking in hiking boots). Then it finally lit! It blew some nasty smoke for a while (soot inside the engine) then cleaned up. A quick spin around the block and it seems fine.

This thing has always been a hard starter. I think this time it was a combination of things. This has me worried about starting it with the supercharger.....

• 1stepcloser

Posted April 28, 2005 - 09:55 AM

Replace the Keihin with an Edelbrock, twist the throttle 3 or 4 times, starts first time, every time. :naughty:

• SaltyWalrus

Posted April 28, 2005 - 01:02 PM

Mine starts great with the stock carb. 2 kicks max any time. The only exception is if I allow it to stall out before it has warmed up a little bit. Then she can be a little cranky.

• thumper447

Posted April 28, 2005 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, how long did the bike sit since the last ride? The plug may have been foulin' (evident the backfire session and hard starting) on the last ride and depending on the length of time you let the bike sit between rides, the gas could have went dead. Then the combination of the weak plug and three to six (or more) month old gas did you in. I would think about rejetting if your bike is hard to start w/ new gas and a plug, especially if it fouls on this next ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.