I need help on a yzf450!

14 replies to this topic
  • PattockRacing

Posted April 25, 2005 - 05:03 PM

Hello everyone, i just got rid of my 2003 crf450, i had many upgrades done to the bike but the valves lasted 10 hours tops, than the bike wouldn't run,had to reshim all that BS. I'm temped to buy a Cr250 again, but i was wondering how Yamaha's YZF450 is on valves dependability. i ride at silver lake sand dunes mostly, and couple races every now and again. if you know anything about the engine and valve dependability. thanks

• saucebox

Posted April 25, 2005 - 05:09 PM

the yami's are great for dependability... as many will tell you they have had their bikes for a couple years with no problems and rarely a valve adjustment if they ever have to. i've had mine for almost a year and no adjustments needed. :naughty:

• undrdog

Posted April 25, 2005 - 05:54 PM

You will not have any valve issues with your new ride. Yamaha have a proven, dependable design. Several here on this site have only had to adjust there valves once, then check once a year, or more often if you like. My 04 250F needed only one adjustment, Same with my new 05 450f, It has just 13 hours on it. I did adjustment at 8 hrs. But I feel confident that it wont need to be looked at till I put her away at the end of the season.

• yz426onNOS

Posted April 25, 2005 - 06:29 PM

The yamaha is like the xr in terms of reliability.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 25, 2005 - 06:35 PM

The yamaha is like the xr in terms of reliability.

I dunno about that, but I do know that if you take care of these beasts they will last longer than anything wearing the CRF, RM-Z, of KX-F badge :naughty:

• yz426onNOS

Posted April 25, 2005 - 07:57 PM

I dunno about that, but I do know that if you take care of these beasts they will last longer than anything wearing the CRF, RM-Z, of KX-F badge :naughty:

I'll stand by what I said.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 25, 2005 - 10:46 PM

Who am I to argue with someone who could leg press a gazillion pounds!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slowmotion426

Posted April 25, 2005 - 10:48 PM

This is the first time i've re-shimmed my YZ's valves in 4 years... :naughty:

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 25, 2005 - 11:44 PM

This is the first time i've re-shimmed my YZ's valves in 4 years... :naughty:

Wow thats awesome!!! But how often do you ride??? and do you race or just do trails??? Still though 4 years and zero movement in the valvetrain is amazing.

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 26, 2005 - 12:42 AM

Wow thats awesome!!! But how often do you ride??? and do you race or just do trails??? Still though 4 years and zero movement in the valvetrain is amazing.

Well that is a misleading statement...I bought the bike 4 years ago new, and since then i've probably only moto'd 25 races on it...both exhaust valves are still in spec, but two out of the three intake valves were getting tight..tearing it on down and putting in a new piston and rings, cam chain etc..but it's been the best bike i've ever had as far as reliability goes.. :naughty:

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 26, 2005 - 11:10 AM

Who am I to argue with someone who could leg press a gazillion pounds!!

Well the fact is.

He's wrong.

I have both.

The YZF takes much more care to be happy than the XR. The XR gets whatever oils in the garage changed out three times a year and the filter cleaned every now and then. It runs perfect though.

As you know the YZF, while very reliable is a much more high performance machine and gets much more care in day to day maintenance.

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2005 - 12:00 PM

The farthest my '03 YZ450 has ever been apart is when the Hinson clutch went in, and the 5 times it's had the valves checked. No valve adjustments yet.

It gets ridden about 3 weekends out of 4, 10-20 hours a month during the season. Some racing.

I'm going to do some "major" work on it in a couple weeks. I'll be replacing the cam chain, just for maintenance.

• RippinInColorado

Posted April 26, 2005 - 03:05 PM

No valve adjustments on mine. Raced it about 35 times in 2003, rode/raced 30 more in 2004. Haven't been out much so far this year, unfortunately, but it still runs great.

I change my tranny oil every other ride; that's a lot more than I do to my XR. Plus the air filter as needed. They are reliable, but need more care than an XR.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 26, 2005 - 03:32 PM

No valve adjustments on mine. Raced it about 35 times in 2003, rode/raced 30 more in 2004. Haven't been out much so far this year, unfortunately, but it still runs great.

I change my tranny oil every other ride; that's a lot more than I do to my XR. Plus the air filter as needed. They are reliable, but need more care than an XR.

Ditto on my 03 - first valvejob / 1st top end in Feb05 - ride/race everyweekend
Before that several 400/426 1999-2002 same deal

valves are not the issue with Yam's - :naughty:

• yz426onNOS

Posted April 26, 2005 - 04:27 PM

Well the fact is.

He's wrong.

I have both.

The YZF takes much more care to be happy than the XR. The XR gets whatever oils in the garage changed out three times a year and the filter cleaned every now and then. It runs perfect though.

As you know the YZF, while very reliable is a much more high performance machine and gets much more care in day to day maintenance.

The YZF lasted longer and ran better the my xr200. The only problem I had is when I ran that damn VP gas in the bike. The crap pluged the carb up real good. Oh and the freak accident dew to 2 pieace valves which was fixed by yamaha in 01. Other then that. The yz ran stronger, better, faster, and longer then the xr.

Th xr's rings broke, cam bearing seized, 3rd gear stripped, kick start failed. All with-in a year. All stay blue.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.