First big trip - now I need help finding parts!

10 replies to this topic
  • Rifraf

Posted April 25, 2005 - 01:10 PM

Alight, I've been lurking around TT for quite some time now and now I need a little help. I just got back from my first big trip, out to Moab, and I beat the living heck out of my XR650L. It was a wonderful time, but I definitely discovered several "next round" items to replace or change. Here's my thoughts. I also could use some reccomendation on some of these:

- biggest $$$ breakage: I cracked my left engine cover. Bike Bandit puts this at $120!!! Yikes. Any thoughts on finding a cheaper replacement? Ebay was no luck... :naughty:

- Related to the cover cracking, I have seen advice out there for engine case guards, but can't seem to find much out there for the XR650. Anyone got suggestions?

- Handlebars and hand guards: I saw the post about replacing handlebars. Some tapered ones with less sweep I think will be huge. Also, I am REALLY glad that some Acerbis guards came with the bike, but the SUCK as far as clearing the levers. I'm going to go to a different guard with more room for the levers. I also had problems with the insert jamming the throttle when I laid it down on the right side.

- Foot Pegs: stock ones didn't hold up. Need I say more? I need a wider and stronger peg. Same goes for the stock gear shift lever.

- Mirrors: folding mirrors are a must. Otherwise they either break on a tree or rock or rattle loose.

- Front Forks: I bottomed them out a lot. Maybe some stiffer springs (I'm 240 lbs). I did put on a fork brace, that was nice.

- Tank: I have an Acerbis 5 gal tank, which was nice for distance. But, the handlebars smash into it at full turn, perhaps a different high capacity tank would not have this problem.

- :naughty: Something good! I got a Happy Trails rack, it held up GREAT and took the abuse well. Also, for $18 I got a mtn bike tail bag that is made to velcro onto a mountain bike rack, worked AWESOME on the rack. The rack took a few good hits, too.

Otherwise, the bike performed great and I had an awesome time. I took that 650 where only 200's should be going and it handled wonderfully and got me home. All the damage was user error, self inflected moments of inexperience.

Anyway, all good stuff!

- Rif

• Jeff650

Posted April 25, 2005 - 05:25 PM

Where did you get the rack and what did it run, I have an 04 XR650L

• jlpskydive

Posted April 25, 2005 - 05:44 PM

Alight, I've been lurking around TT for quite some time now and now I need a little help. I just got back from my first big trip, out to Moab, and I beat the living heck out of my XR650L. It was a wonderful time, but I definitely discovered several "next round" items to replace or change. Here's my thoughts. I also could use some reccomendation on some of these:

- biggest $$$ breakage: I cracked my left engine cover. Bike Bandit puts this at $120!!! Yikes. Any thoughts on finding a cheaper replacement? Ebay was no luck... :D

- Related to the cover cracking, I have seen advice out there for engine case guards, but can't seem to find much out there for the XR650. Anyone got suggestions?

- Handlebars and hand guards: I saw the post about replacing handlebars. Some tapered ones with less sweep I think will be huge. Also, I am REALLY glad that some Acerbis guards came with the bike, but the SUCK as far as clearing the levers. I'm going to go to a different guard with more room for the levers. I also had problems with the insert jamming the throttle when I laid it down on the right side.

- Foot Pegs: stock ones didn't hold up. Need I say more? I need a wider and stronger peg. Same goes for the stock gear shift lever.

- Mirrors: folding mirrors are a must. Otherwise they either break on a tree or rock or rattle loose.

- Front Forks: I bottomed them out a lot. Maybe some stiffer springs (I'm 240 lbs). I did put on a fork brace, that was nice.

- Tank: I have an Acerbis 5 gal tank, which was nice for distance. But, the handlebars smash into it at full turn, perhaps a different high capacity tank would not have this problem.

- :D Something good! I got a Happy Trails rack, it held up GREAT and took the abuse well. Also, for $18 I got a mtn bike tail bag that is made to velcro onto a mountain bike rack, worked AWESOME on the rack. The rack took a few good hits, too.

Otherwise, the bike performed great and I had an awesome time. I took that 650 where only 200's should be going and it handled wonderfully and got me home. All the damage was user error, self inflected moments of inexperience.

Anyway, all good stuff!

- Rif

IMS Pro Pegs are great
Calrk tank works well
Maier Extreame hand guards are awsome (no porblems with clearance)
Folding Mirros are 10 bucks each at the local shop, only put the left one on (if you break the right one you replace the master cylender)
any aftermarket shifter is better than stock.
:naughty: :naughty:
PS - change the bars to CR high bends you'll be amazed!!!!!!!!

• kal151

Posted April 25, 2005 - 07:36 PM

- Mirrors: folding mirrors are a must. Otherwise they either break on a tree or rock or rattle loose.- Rif

You might try these. They seem to work pretty good for me.
http://www.dual-star...ble_mirror2.htm

• rokklym

Posted April 25, 2005 - 07:48 PM

IMS makes a nice folding mirror mount.

I got the Moose handguards and they seem to be pretty nice, had to cut down the levers though.

I'd like to hear which aftermarket shifter is the best.

I've heard alot about the IMS superstock pegs.

I've never seen any case covers or guards for the XR650L. I whish someone would start making something.

Oh yeah, What trails did you ride out there and when are you gonna post some pics?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rifraf

Posted April 26, 2005 - 12:40 PM

Pic's are posted here:

Click Here

We rode Hells Revenge the first day (my first off road ride), Kane Creek and Steel Bender the second day and the last day we rode Onion Creek to the Kokopeli, over Dome Pleteau (was a LONG DAY). A bunch of these pics are from the "Rose Garden", a crazy hill.

- Rif

• rokklym

Posted April 26, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Pic's are posted here:

Click Here

We rode Hells Revenge the first day (my first off road ride), Kane Creek and Steel Bender the second day and the last day we rode Onion Creek to the Kokopeli, over Dome Pleteau (was a LONG DAY). A bunch of these pics are from the "Rose Garden", a crazy hill.

- Rif

Looks like it was an awesome trip. great pics! Thats pretty crazy to do Hells revenge as your first off road ride! That baby is steep!

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:28 AM

Take a peek at these: XR-650L Engine & Foot Control Guards by Summers racing Components

https://secure.srcin...805&StartRow=11

I dont have them, but they look kinda cool to me...

• 4Takt

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:42 AM

You might try these. They seem to work pretty good for me.
http://www.dual-star...ble_mirror2.htm

Hey kal151, I've been thinking about giving those mirrors a try. Can you actually see anything in them other than your thighs, or are they for legal purpose only?

4Takt

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 19, 2005 - 05:20 PM

ims pegs
get a right mirror that mounts to the bars, not the stock hole!
have you tightened up your front forks? there are 12 settings.
my 4 gallon clarke is great...no problems at all

your upset about a 120 dollar fix? wait till your drop 225 on sprokets and a chain.

• justicedone

Posted October 19, 2005 - 08:16 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...583922913QQrdZ1

here ya go !!!

I love my Moose pegs, great price, and they are the same or better than IMS

Run Rally2 Acerbis guards and have yet to break them, or have any issues..even after many tree and boulder meetings..lol

My Clarke 4.0 gallon tank clears perfectly and fits like a T, feels more natural than any I have tried.

The Summers side guard looks like nothing more than a good cable does to keep sticks and stones from collecting.

Theres a lot of solid shifters, mostly all the same quality. Mines a Moose or MSR, I forget but same again as IMS, cheap on ebay.

A good full skid plate is called for when offroading as well.

The Moab Utah trip looked INSANELY fun, challenging, and rewarding. GREAT pics :banghead:

Always wanted to go there

Oh..I run the CR/High bend Pro-Tapers with the billet risers...love them, great upgrade for sure !

Last mod I really need is a lowering link for rear since I like the huge Teraflex, just installed my 2nd one.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.