supercharging possible????

11 replies to this topic
  • offrodeo

Posted April 25, 2005 - 10:44 AM

I was wondering if a yzf450 can be supercharged, maybe by something like this
electric supercharger

I know there will be problems that i would run into (jetting, where to get the juice to run the compressor, etc...)

Think it is possible?

i know there is a turbo set up for the raptor.

kevan

• ncmountainman

Posted April 25, 2005 - 11:52 AM

that looks like a air mattress inflator with a airfilter :naughty: what happens when you get to about 9-10k rpm's and it sucks the impeller into the motor? i don't think it'll keep up the cfm's needed to maintain a 3lb boost :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2005 - 01:06 PM

I was wondering if a yzf450 can be supercharged... by something like this
electric supercharger

:D :naughty: :D :D :D :cry: :D :D :p :p ROTFLMAO

:D eh, No. :naughty:

With a real supercharger, you could, but why?

• yz426onNOS

Posted April 25, 2005 - 01:08 PM

supercharging is possiable.

• bushy

Posted April 25, 2005 - 02:29 PM

If that really worked im sure thats where all the factory guys get there mad speedz yo!

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted April 25, 2005 - 02:46 PM

it would be an engineering nightmare to add a crank pulley that somehow would turn an impeller on the intake side of the carb. A turbo setup would be much more effective and fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2005 - 03:06 PM

And it would add at least ten pounds, to say nothing of the bulk, and, once again, why?

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted April 25, 2005 - 03:23 PM

For the guy who has everything except a boosted YZ. A Garret hair dryer, air to water intercooler and the sweet sound of the blowoff valve. Ahhhh..... music to my ears!!!!
It would be obvious suicide on a dirt bike, but I'd still like to see it.

Didn't you work for GM for 30+ years? I'm sure you've got to drive at least one juiced GN. Thats all it took for me to realize I like big freakin turbo's :naughty:

• offrodeo

Posted April 25, 2005 - 03:39 PM

I was just wondering if this is a possibility. I was thinking more of an electric one that you can turn on and off. I took my 450 out to the dunes this weekend and still wanted more power. I am still stock but was thinking maybe skip all the exspensive exhaust and cams and go straight to the power horse.
Yes weight is an issue for the racers, but i dont race just mostly having fun at the dunes.

If these electric superchargers are meant for cars (which i think is horse crap) they have to at least make enough cfm for a motorcycle. Maybe ill order one just to see if it will work, i love beefing up things. just a thought

kevan

• lilmule400

Posted April 25, 2005 - 04:06 PM

Don't waste your money, it won't work. An eletric fan that has a blowthrough design can never create boost...its impossible. Even if you added the crank pulley driven blower, most of these new bikes have 12:1 compression ratio, so you may be able to run 2-3lbs of boost on high octane fuel with water injection, but this may be a long shot. Also, you'll need to consider ignition timing, as the revs/boost increase, you'll need to back the timing way off to avoid detonation. If this post was a joke, I'll feel like a &%$#@!.

• 642MX

Posted April 25, 2005 - 04:20 PM

Now all we need is for the fuel injection guy to chime in.

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2005 - 09:05 PM

Didn't you work for GM for 30+ years? I'm sure you've got to drive at least one juiced GN. Thats all it took for me to realize I like big freakin turbo's :naughty:

Did and did. And I own an ever so gently modified '92 Volvo 760 Turbo that I occasionally use to educate the local young folk. I even have some colorful tales to tell about a '73 Honda 750 4cyl sporting a windmill. Turbos are past cool for creating horsepower efficiently, but the systems are way to bulky and heavy to add to a dirt bike other than a sand dragster or hill climber, and the nature of the power produced is not really suitable for MX or off road, or even Super Moto, really. Besides, most of us can't really use much more than we have now.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.