Rode a YZ426 and my WR450 this weekend; please advise

10 replies to this topic
  • kincade

Posted April 25, 2005 - 08:08 AM

Hi all; I'm hoping I can get some feedback from you as I'm a bit confused on my experience this weekend... One of my good friends has a 2002 YZ426f and I have a WR450 (2004). This weekend we rode at the dunes in central Utah, and we traded bikes for a little while. My observations:

-His 426 pulled out of every gear much easier; it would not bog. My WR needs shifting quite a bit more, as it tends to bog in the higher gears. His description was that the midrange on his bike seemed much fatter.

-His 426 seemed much more stable than mine; my bike tends to dart around a lot (more headshake???), his seemed to float on the sand much better. His didn't make you 'fight' the bike, mine seems like it takes a lot more effort to keep it in a straight line.

I'm a bit confused, and a little bummed to find I liked riding a bike that cost 1/2 mine much more.

So, is that typical of a YZxf vs a WR? Here are the mods we have done to our bikes:

YZ426f- protapers and top triple clamp, clipped 'blue wire', PB header and ti-4 14" pipe.

WR450- JD kit, zipty fuel screw, grey wire mod, opened up airbox, barnums airbox lid, twin air filter, PB header, Q2 pipe.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated; I'm relatively new to this sport, and still trying to figure out a few things!

• Thumper_426

Posted April 25, 2005 - 01:00 PM

I'l try to help you with what I have observed as well. I have a '02 yz426f with mods and my buddy here has a n '03 wr450f also with mods, both bikes are quick, but theres a big difference between the two. One is a race preped bike, other is a trails mainly/track bike, meaning WR not YZ. YZ will pull more on closed area type riding and some open trails as well, the WR will out run the YZ depending on rider in a desert race. Tires can make a difference in types of terrain also, air pressure also. Some bikes have steering head shake from factory at certain speeds. Also jetting for that day you guys were riding in also can be a factor. Hope this helps you out some, both are great bikes, my next new bike will be a WR450.
Mark

• JTWR450

Posted April 25, 2005 - 01:44 PM

The headshake issue...he has aftermarket triple clamp and bars...you don't. Huge difference

• kincade

Posted April 25, 2005 - 05:22 PM

On headshake; he only has the upper triple clamp though and bars; does that change anything? I thought you had to do upper and lower to change the geometry and get rid of headshake?

Thanks for the tips Mark; they're jetting pretty close; they both seem to run pretty well right now. I was more confused on how strong his bike felt, and how much more stable!

• 450high

Posted April 28, 2005 - 02:04 AM

I felt mty 426 wen't better and handled beter than my 450.As for head shake , if you have dropped the forks in the tripple clamps ( even 1 cm ) you will get head shake at say 80 k's.Most of us did this to improve steering.I raised mine up to only a .5 cm drop and the head shake dissappeared. hope this helps.
p.s also try backing of the rebounds all the way the tighten a bit at a time as this will improve the handleing nd deflection until you get the spot you like.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kincade

Posted April 28, 2005 - 02:55 PM

I felt mty 426 wen't better and handled beter than my 450.As for head shake , if you have dropped the forks in the tripple clamps ( even 1 cm ) you will get head shake at say 80 k's.Most of us did this to improve steering.I raised mine up to only a .5 cm drop and the head shake dissappeared. hope this helps.
p.s also try backing of the rebounds all the way the tighten a bit at a time as this will improve the handleing nd deflection until you get the spot you like.

I haven't dropped the forks at all; so that's not it.

I'll try playing w/ the rebounds on the shocks; that might help...

• RNS

Posted April 28, 2005 - 05:54 PM

I hated the way my '03 WR450 knifed in the front with the stock triple clamps and suspension valving. I went with a 22mm offset Scott triple clamp which I think is an RG3 or something(no need for a stabilizer except in tight trees), sent my suspension to GMD Computrack in Atlanta and the result was nothing short of fantastic. Anyway the 22mm offset clamps will increase the trail which much is more like a YZF. No headshake and stability all the way around. I could not be happier. :naughty:

My .02

RNS

• kincade

Posted April 29, 2005 - 09:30 AM

So; the YZ/f has a different front fork angle than the WR? This could DEFINITELY explain the difference in handling with the 2! I was going to start looking at a stabilizer, so that might be a good idea too.

• RNS

Posted April 29, 2005 - 11:26 AM

The YZF has more trail some where like 4mm more, not angle..It make a big difference in turning..

RNS

• jwriott

Posted April 29, 2005 - 11:35 AM

Make sure your sag is set correctly. Also, soften up the rear slightly and the headshake should go away. My WR426 was super stable in the sand and I pulled the forks up 10mm because I'm short. :naughty:

Also, it you want your bike to have more snap, try a YZ450 cam. I loved my bike with the YZ timing versus WR. It was way more fun everywhere and for me, I didn't see any negative difference in the tight stuff. You could also drop the front sprocket one tooth to tighten up the gear ratio's and avoid the bog in higher gears. 1st may become somewhat useless.

There is also no getting around the fact that you are riding a heavier bike. Anyway you look at it, the extra weight is going to affect handling. The more responsive engine also helps blast out of the corners easier as well.

• kincade

Posted April 29, 2005 - 12:21 PM

So; more angle = more stability at the expense of turning, right?

I got my sag close, but still need to get it perfect. But I haven't even touched the shock adjustments on my bike since I bought it; so they've never been messed with.

I'm ordering a cam from the OEM TT store today, but does anyone know if there are instructions on the net for the install?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.