Optical Illusion or Reality

1 reply to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted April 25, 2005 - 07:22 AM

I bought a YZ cam (according to official Yamaha part number) for my WR450F to change the timing to YZ. My mechanic who´s about the install the part says that he has compared the two parts (WR cam and new YZ cam) and say they are identical, just the dot is 1 tooth advanced. I told him that according to what I have read on this site the difference should be more, because simply advancing one tooth will disable the auto decompression for a 450 (different than the 400/426) He says that there is no optical difference to the position of the auto-decompression vs. the curve on the camshaft. Is this an optical illusion from my mechanic. I am afraid that I have bought the wrong cam than although the part number is the YZ one and the dot is one tooth advance. What should I do?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted April 25, 2005 - 07:32 AM

The YZ cam has a different length decompression pin to compensate for the change in timing. It's subtle but if you look closely you can visually see the difference.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.