care and lubing the chain

22 replies to this topic
  • drive805

Posted April 24, 2005 - 11:42 PM

little help here....
after riding i clean the bike and brush the chain off then before its put away i spray chain lube on...
now i have been told that that is the wrong way, 1. because it is an O-ring chain and 2. because the chain isn't warmed up???
is there a right or wrong way to care and lube the chain????... i remember lubing the chain before riding and what a mess it made.... what are my options?? thanks!!!

• xcracer123

Posted April 24, 2005 - 11:56 PM

First off, NEVER use a power washer! You are doing well by using a brush to clean it. I use a product called a Grunge Brush. Then I set the bike up on a stand and let it run for a minute or two in gear to dry and warm up the chain. Next I lube the chain. Done! My chain seems to last much longer than any of my buddies doing it this way. Hope this helps you out.

• gregwr450f

Posted April 25, 2005 - 04:15 AM

I use to use a chain lube but found they make a hell of a mess and attract dirt which then turns the lube into a grinding paste causing more wear.

I gave my bike good clean including the chain and now use silicon spray as a lube, it does not make a mess so my bike hasn't got chain lube all over it and it doesn't attract as much dirt (it just gets dusty), so no more "grinding paste", the best part is any dust that does stick hoses off real easy ,it seems to work well too.
Some would argue that o-ring chains don't need any lube and maybe they are right, but it makes me feel better putting something on it.

• drive805

Posted April 25, 2005 - 10:48 PM

thanks...i will try the Grunge Brush... i tried the silicone on my old bike and was told not to because it will swell the O-rings in the chain..... so i got chain lube. I will continue doing how i have been cleaning the lubing... i learned a long time ago on my GPZ 1100 that a power washer isn't the way to go.... after replacing the head set twice in less then 1K miles because i had washed the grease out with a pressure washer

• Bamster

Posted April 26, 2005 - 04:38 AM

I use to use a chain lube but found they make a hell of a mess and attract dirt which then turns the lube into a grinding paste causing more wear.

This so true. The gummy chain lubes are the worst.

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 26, 2005 - 11:13 AM

little help here....
after riding i clean the bike and brush the chain off then before its put away i spray chain lube on...
now i have been told that that is the wrong way, 1. because it is an O-ring chain and 2. because the chain isn't warmed up???
is there a right or wrong way to care and lube the chain????... i remember lubing the chain before riding and what a mess it made.... what are my options?? thanks!!!

Personally, I use chain lube (wax) because I don't like metal-metal-contact, especially on the exposed drivetrain. But now I'm thinking that the wax I'm using attracts more dirt and is doing more harm than good. I clean the chain with Simple Green and a Grunge Brush, rinse it off, let it dry and lube it after riding.

My buddy keeps telling me to use Tri-Flow. It all he uses and he's a long time desert/Baja racer. Maybe I'll try that now. It's all I ever use on my bicycle chains and I know it works on those...

• qadsan

Posted April 26, 2005 - 12:17 PM

Most petroleum based chain lubes and waxes make for a nice grinding paste and are the wrong products to use in my opinion if you care about your chain. Use a good dry film lube that doesn't attract dirt and provides some type of barrier protection in addition to a light penetrating carrier oil. My chains stay clean most of the time in the deserts unless I'm in the mud, but I've had plenty of comments from other riders as to how I keep my chains looking so nice. My chains also last a good deal longer than the chains on my friends bikes who continue to use grinding paste and my countshaft cavities are never cacked with crud like many other bikes I see.

• Bamster

Posted April 26, 2005 - 01:01 PM

my countshaft cavities are never cacked with crud like many other bikes I see.

Did you remove the countershart guard and cover?
My bike came with a 15 tooth sprocket and the guard was missing but the cover was there. I would like to find a guard but don't want to use the cover.

• qadsan

Posted April 26, 2005 - 01:17 PM

We still have the c/s guard (or aftermarket savers) and covers on most of our wrf's, xr's, cr's, yz's, it's, mx's, etc.

• Helithumper

Posted April 27, 2005 - 06:19 AM

I second the dry film lube especially if your using a o-ring chain. While we are on chains, last weekend my buddy broke his on a WR426 (01 I think). We tried to sacrifice a master link from another bike but it didn't fit. The prongs went through just fine but the backing plate was to thick and we could not get the lock clip to engage the master link. Do WR's have a thinner chain without a master link???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Strattos

Posted June 17, 2005 - 02:26 PM

Excusing my ignorance here, but what would be an example of a dry lube product? Also I'm told good old CRC doesn't attract dirt/sand avoiding the grinding paste problem, but would it fling off too easily?

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 17, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Digilube is awesome!:

http://www.best-moto..._Chain_Lube.htm

apply it with an eye dropper and it drys in minutes! :)

No more dirt and sand clinging to your chain! I am very impressed with the performance of this product! :)

• TwoBobRob

Posted June 17, 2005 - 03:28 PM

Yeah, clean it with kerosene/paraffin and a brush, leave to dry then lube with a dry lube.. Over here in the UK we have Profi drylube and Wurth drylube that I can think of, mountainbike shops are always worth a visit for such things.

I have it on good authority that kerosene/paraffin will not harm 'O' rings, it's all I've ever used, with no problems so far. :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 17, 2005 - 03:43 PM

I keep the chain clean with a wire brush and coat it with Chainwax.

• Seabass

Posted June 17, 2005 - 04:18 PM

I use WD-40 after I wash my chain to disperse any water and to keep the countershaft sprocket rust free

• farkawi

Posted June 17, 2005 - 04:35 PM

After washing the bike; I hose the chain, footpeg pivots, brake and kick pivots down with WD40 to get the water outa there. I've been using Honda chain lube which is really light stuff.

• TwoBobRob

Posted June 18, 2005 - 03:45 PM

Someone told me that WD40 attacks the O rings...

What do we reckon, True or False?

• jerryls

Posted June 18, 2005 - 04:47 PM

Someone told me that WD40 attacks the O rings...

What do we reckon, True or False?

I've got almost 2,000 miles on my stock chain using WD40. Still appears to be in descent shape. So I'll go with "false".

• dustdogg

Posted June 18, 2005 - 08:54 PM

After washing the bike; I hose the chain, footpeg pivots, brake and kick pivots down with WD40 to get the water outa there. I've been using Honda chain lube which is really light stuff.

I have been using the Honda chain lube also. So far this seems to be the best chain lube that I have used. It doesn't attract dirt or get "gummy" like some of the lubes. :)

• rushfan

Posted June 19, 2005 - 06:40 AM

Ok... how about this. To clean the chain, sprocket and countershaft I use Eagle One Wheel and Tire cleaner. Please no flames, it really works!! And even where soap and water won't remove the stains from the dirt, it makes all of the metal surfaces look like new. As far as I know it doesn't seem to hurt the o rings. Also I agree that wd40 makes for a good lube and keeps the chain clean. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.