Valve Tips

7 replies to this topic
  • Shorte01

Posted April 24, 2005 - 05:20 PM

Hey all, I'm looking into checking out my valves for the first time, just wanted to know if anyone had some tips that they found made things go a little easier, faster, more thorough than the manual? Thanks for any help.

04 YZ450

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2005 - 07:03 PM

For one thing, there is no reason to remove the radiator(s), or drain the coolant, so don't.

For more, check ThumperFAQ

It's a site for the 250F, but the info is good for the 450 as well. Just use the clearance specs in your manual, since they are different.

Also, the upper engine mount on the 450 does have come off, whereas it's unnecessary on the 250F.

You can also take a look at Motoman393's web site. Search or wait for someone to post.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 24, 2005 - 09:37 PM

Motoman's site- motoman393.thumpertalk.com

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 25, 2005 - 12:58 AM

dadgummit..I took the radiators off and drained the coolant on my '426 first...oh well, i'll know next time... :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Trees4Traction

Posted April 25, 2005 - 03:51 AM

I just did it for the first time 2 weeks ago I had 1 exhaust valve of and had to shimm one. I am not to mechanical but didn't cause any problem. After finding out how easy it was I definitely will do it once a year.

• FFRacing79

Posted April 25, 2005 - 04:25 AM

Don't know why you would take the headstay off...I don't have any problem getting the cover off with it on. To save time on cam timing, I just 'roll" the cam up alongside the other one while changing shims. Works for me. Tdub

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2005 - 09:16 AM

As an old flat rate mechanic, I only remove what I have to unless it makes the job significantly easier. Having done the 250F with the headstay in place, I quite naturally tried it like that with the 450, but it didn't want me to take the cam cover off without removing it. I did, however, just remove the top 2 bolts and rock it back. :naughty: Maybe I'll give it go when I get into it again in couple weeks and see if I missed a trick

• FFRacing79

Posted April 25, 2005 - 09:20 AM

When I was working flattrate, like you said you are always looking for timesavers(not shortcuts). Now that I am back in the raceshop, the boss is just the opposite LOL

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.