using clutch

8 replies to this topic
  • JAYG

Posted April 24, 2005 - 10:25 AM

hi thumpers,
Is it ok not to use the clutch when changing up and down whilst riding,does it cause any damage
Best regards,
J :naughty:

• curtains23

Posted April 24, 2005 - 11:06 AM

ALWAYS use the clutch, every time you change gear without it you wear the gears and the selector, its ok for the factory guys because they aint paying for anything,check personal message's for armthorpe....CURTAINS23

• JAYG

Posted April 24, 2005 - 11:40 AM

Arm thorpe sounds good , got to speak with the rest of the gang sort out dates etc, if were coming probably be about 7 of us.
Working in doncaster town centre this week is it ok to check out the track one day during the week. :naughty:
J
PS. have you done the track at preston docks, this also has been recommended.

• curtains23

Posted April 24, 2005 - 11:51 AM

Armthorpe is open 10.00 till 4.00 everyday, off at j4 left at roundabout holmewood lane
i think its called and tracks are right at the end, its not as sandy as preston, let me know....CURTAINS23

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2005 - 12:15 PM

Shifting without the clutch is fine as long as you back off the gas a bit and change gears sharply, so that there's no grinding of gears. Been doing it for years with no trouble. In fact, whether you use the clutch or not, always make the shift quickly and get it done. Moving between gears slowly does more damage than slamming from one to the next.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 24, 2005 - 01:12 PM

Shifting without the clutch is fine as long as you back off the gas a bit and change gears sharply, so that there's no grinding of gears. Been doing it for years with no trouble. In fact, whether you use the clutch or not, always make the shift quickly and get it done. Moving between gears slowly does more damage than slamming from one to the next.

totally agree... I have had 5 YZF's not one of them ever had transmission problems from not using the clutch....I rarely use it. And I know many owners that have purchased many clutches from using it as you suggest Curtains.

"USE IT = ABUSE IT - Replace it, a lot"

• yz426onNOS

Posted April 24, 2005 - 01:59 PM

Yep you don't have to use the clutch, in fact if you know your motor well. You can change gear without even the slightest hint of a grind.

I personally like to use the clutch for pieace of mind. On some steep sandy hill climbs I have had so much pressure on the gears that even when pulling the clutch I could not shift it without bending a fork. Thats when it's time to micropolish the entire motor. Then you get seemless smooth shifts.

• DoctorRzed

Posted April 24, 2005 - 03:47 PM

I use the clutch till I start getting tired then I care less about the clutch. No problems for the last 5 yrs

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 24, 2005 - 05:10 PM

I use the clutch when on the ground but not when I shift while I'm in the air. Sometimes if the braking bumps are big enough that I physically can't get a hand on the clutch I'll downshift without it. Lots of people don't use the clutch at all and seem to have no problem, but I've seen lots of trannys with rounded gear dogs from too much shifting without the clutch. I'm not a rich man so I use the clutch just to be safe. :naughty:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.