Add chain link for Tera flex?

18 replies to this topic
  • swells454

Posted April 23, 2005 - 06:12 PM

Hey all,

With all the great reviews I've been reading about the Tera flex tire....I just got mine and got it on the bike. What a beast!! :naughty:

It barely clears the swingarm, which I expected...but I think it is too close. The wheel can go back, the adjuster is about 1/4 of the way back from the front. The chain is too short to adjust back any further. :naughty:

Has anyone added a link with any luck or do I need to be changing sprockets?

Thanks, Steve

• Max Power

Posted April 23, 2005 - 06:21 PM

Why do you think it's too close. If the tire not touching the swing arm then let er rip.

• swells454

Posted April 23, 2005 - 06:29 PM

I have about 1/8 " clearance or less. Just thought I could give a little more for that stone thats going to get lodged on its way around. Probably more nervous about how huge it looks than anything.
When I adjusted the chain the marks didn't run true to each side. Left side about the second mark and right side about 1/1/2 mark. If I put em even the right side rubs on the swingarm. The wheel looks straight, seems to turn straight by eyeballin her....just it was always even w/ the stock tire. Ever seen this before? :naughty:
Or is it another no worry kinda deal? Maybe I just need to hop on and RIP! :naughty:

• Max Power

Posted April 23, 2005 - 06:46 PM

Are you running stock sprockets?

• justicedone

Posted April 23, 2005 - 07:05 PM

I installed mine while also swapping sprockets to 14/48, had no problems with fitting other than trimming chain guard.
Good luck.

• swells454

Posted April 23, 2005 - 07:08 PM

Yeah...stock sprockets.....

• Max Power

Posted April 23, 2005 - 07:19 PM

I installed mine while also swapping sprockets to 14/48, had no problems with fitting other than trimming chain guard.
Good luck.

What bike are you talking about.

• justicedone

Posted April 23, 2005 - 08:48 PM

What bike are you talking about.

2003 XR650L

heres a pic...

http://www.geocities...l?1113848777997

• Max Power

Posted April 23, 2005 - 09:14 PM

Posted Image

Oh my.....That thing is sexy.

Well now........ I think swells 454 is on a R model. So the swing arm geometry is probably different from the L. Sooooo..... I don't know the answer. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RingKingPin

Posted April 24, 2005 - 04:49 AM

I'd get it as far away as possible from the shock. If you have 1/8 clearance to the sa, you are going to need to move it for sure. When you start rolling, the TFII will grow on ya and then it will start to rub. If it is a very efficient way to polish the inside of the sa though. Good luck! Oh yah, say good bye to your mud flap!

• 1biglung

Posted April 24, 2005 - 06:12 AM

With the terror flex you will probably want to at least drop the CS sprocket to 14. I am running 14/48 and love it. It makes a huge difference trying to spin that pig up.

• swells454

Posted April 24, 2005 - 06:33 AM

Has anyone added a link to the chain successfully or with all the 650's torque am I dealing with a strength issue and possible breakage?

• swells454

Posted April 24, 2005 - 06:52 AM

With the terror flex you will probably want to at least drop the CS sprocket to 14. I am running 14/48 and love it.

The 650r model I bought came stock with the 14/48.

• 1biglung

Posted April 24, 2005 - 07:06 AM

My bad I was assuming 650L. I can't help with the R. Are you Dualsported?

I think the most common reason for the terror flex is because it is a monster and DOT legal.

• swells454

Posted April 24, 2005 - 07:11 AM

. Are you Dualsported?

I think the most common reason for the terror flex is because it is a monster and DOT legal.

Yeah, I got her dual sported, but mostly I ride Fire roads, sandy trails, some dirt roads and pavement ot get more gas or it's lunchtime! :naughty:

• Max Power

Posted April 24, 2005 - 07:37 AM

Yep, that is the stock set up for the R. I think some people commenting are talking about the L model.

If your are talking about adding a master link to a o-ring chain to get some extra length, I don't think that is recommended. Hopefully someone with a R model with stock chain and sprockets will chime in and give you some tips. You do not want that tire rubbing the swing arm. It will cut through it like a hot knife through butter.

A little info on breaking a chain HERE

Also for what is worth. Everyone I know that has a R model with stock chain and sprockets with the chain broken in usually has the marks sit in the middle or third from the front.

Posted Image

• roadcam

Posted April 24, 2005 - 09:04 AM

at speed, the spinning tire will grow in height a bit, resulting in a slightly narrower sidewall, so if you're not rubbing at rest, it should gain a bit of clearance when at speed ... nice pic, really illustrates the size of that tire ... wow :naughty:

• swells454

Posted April 24, 2005 - 09:31 AM

[quote name='roadcam']at speed, the spinning tire will grow in height a bit, resulting in a slightly narrower sidewall, so if you're not rubbing at rest, it should gain a bit of clearance when at speedQUOTE]

That's true for the side, but my 1/8" cleance is in the front of the tire to the swingarm....sooo...It sounds as though I had better get it back.....just not sure as the best way to do it and hoping some other 650r owners with the beast can chime in how they worked it out. Thanks for all the advice so far.

• Paddletires

Posted April 24, 2005 - 10:54 AM

Has anyone added a link to the chain successfully or with all the 650's torque am I dealing with a strength issue and possible breakage?

I wouldn't add any links to the stock chain, I would go to your local speed shop and purchase some standard 520 chain, 10 or so links longer than stock. Position the tire where everything has good clearance, lay the new chain in there, cut it to length and masterlink it together. WHA-LA!!!! Take it out for a spin. :naughty:

If everything looks good after your trial run(s) and you feel it necessary to use a o-ring chain, you now know what length o-ring chain to order. :naughty:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.