Suspension problems????

4 replies to this topic
  • 600ish

Posted April 23, 2005 - 03:50 PM

This afternoon I sat on my '94 XR600 to start it and when I got off the bike the suspension never came back up. It is compressed and won't move down ant further and I can not get it to come back up. It is like it is a rigid, with no suspension. It is definitely riding low in the rear. I have taken a rubber mallet to the linkage to see if it was binding up with ho luck. It rode fine last weekend. Any ideas whether it may be the linkage or the shock. Thanks, Walt :naughty:

• August

Posted April 23, 2005 - 03:52 PM

Broken spring???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AzMtnThumper

Posted April 24, 2005 - 07:43 PM

I guess it could be either, but I would take the linkage apart and remove the swingarm first (before tearing the shock apart) and check the condition of the bearings, bushings and bolts etc.

• frankstr

Posted April 25, 2005 - 04:21 AM

Yeah, Disasemble the rear suspension, inspect all parts and check your shock while its out, I'm sure you'll find the problem..........

• 600ish

Posted April 25, 2005 - 03:18 PM

I got it figured out finally :naughty: . I loosened the top shock mount bolt under the seat and I was able to pull up on the rear fender area and unscrew the bolt by hand, and once the bolt was removed I could pick the rear of the bike up several inches with no problems, and the linkage is as smooth as can be. It is definitely the shock/spring. this is what I hoped would be the case. The last thing I wanted to deal with was a bent swingarm and/or linkage/bearings. I was going to have the shock rebuild soon anyway for Vegas to Reno in Oct. Thanks for everyones help. I had taken a few good falls at speed recently and was worried I may have twisted the linkage up, since I've never had a shock collapse on me like that. Too much BIG AIR on the 600 I guess :D :naughty: I have used these guys before and they do great work. Keith at www.cycledynamics.net

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.