Anyone fouling plugs..read this

1 reply to this topic
  • mcarp

Posted November 07, 2000 - 11:09 PM

OK, this site is bombarded with fouled plug and jetting nightmares.

Here's 3 hints to help, take it or leave it. Hope it helps newbies.

1. DO NOT apply ANY AMOUNT OF throttle when starting or when engine is off.

2. WARM UP YOUR BIKE. 2 minutes doesn't cut it, and only 1 second on choke. Try 5-7 minutes, slightly revving occasionally after a few minutes.

3. Turn off the fuel and drain your carb after riding for the day. Fuel will splash during transport and flood it causing spark fouling. Doing just this and nothing else until I upgraded the pipe solved my fouling problems, unbelievable but true. Of course the trailheads I park in are always rutted, pothole filled areas.

Hope this helps, works for me, it's been 400 miles since constant fouling my '00 just by being careful of the above and doing nothing else (have since changed jetting, rode like hell, added pipe, rode like hell, YZ timing, changed jetting again, rode like hell waiting for EKP not a fouled plug and didn't change it!

Yes, of course #4 is correct jetting--good luck :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gbernard

Posted November 08, 2000 - 02:07 AM

I'VE DONE JUST THAT AND STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL PLUG IN THE MOTOR FOR THE LAST 2 TWO YEARS.NO PROBLEM. HAVE RUN ULP,SUPER, AND AVGAS. (93RON,95RON,100RON).

98WR400. OPEN AIR BOX, MOD PIPE, VORTEX.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.