Fourth & & out 2001 YZ 426

4 replies to this topic
  • NewfieWR

Posted April 23, 2005 - 11:58 AM

I gota tear it down :naughty: my guess is that the some of the teeth on 4 & 5 are missin....or shift forks :D
Anything else it could be ??? Will i need speciality tools to split the cases, or put them back together :naughty:
Thanks for your help :D

• J_T_M

Posted April 23, 2005 - 02:34 PM

i think it is highly unlikely that your gears are missing teeth, but the dogs may very well be rounded off, while the motor is apart, put new shift forks in, even if they look fine. you shouldn' t need any special tools to split the case.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NewfieWR

Posted April 23, 2005 - 02:59 PM

Splitting the cases wouldn't be a problem in terms of tools needed......i'm wondering if i need any special tools to get that far :naughty:
She keeps slippin/skippin in fourth & fifth as if the gears were shagged up.
I realize that it could be the shift drum.
Is there anything else that it might be,,,,,,,,,might save be the trouble of a total tear down :naughty:
Thanks alot :D

• grayracer513

Posted April 23, 2005 - 08:18 PM

The drum won't be involved. Your problem will be with the condition of the locking dogs on the sides of the gears that engage 4th and 5th. They will be rounded, and the undercut is gone. Both gears in any such set that lock to each other must be replaced. The forks that shift 4th and 5th will also probably be bent. A shift fork normally only wears at the two ends. any fork that shows wear at the center point between the tips is bent and must be replaced.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 24, 2005 - 02:53 AM

I had the same problem with fifth gear on my bike. I think I wore it out from all the ice racing I did when I was wide open in fifth all day. When I took it apart, I had to replace third and fith gear as well as the shift fork. The fork was bent pretty good. As for special tools you will need, I would suggest having a good torque wrench on hand. :naughty:

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.