A new XL owner happy to be here.

3 replies to this topic
  • wildchubby

Posted April 23, 2005 - 05:32 AM

Hello All. Ive been lurking here for the last few months while looking for a bike. Ive been in need of a reliable dual sport to teach my wife to ride and to give me somthing to bang around the neighborhood and farm roads.

So I found a '83 XL600R that was up to date on state inspection and still plated. Seems like it's in a good enough shape and only needs a little TLC.

So the first question I have is looking for links to OEM or aftermarket parts for this bike. Specifically I need a speedo cable and a shop manual.

Thanks all, and I'll post some first wife training pics later today.

• JamesXLR

Posted May 02, 2005 - 10:20 AM

I'm in the same boat. Just got an '84 XL600R, 4k miles, really nice. It came with the service manual so if you need some info, send me mail and I'll look it up. I'm going to want to know about larger tanks, passenger footpeg mounts (other than the swingarm mounted ones). Oh...and I definitely need to swap sprockets to get a higher top speed/cruising speed.

Let me know if you find a good source of model specific information.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:58 PM

As A Proud Owner Of An '83 And '86 Xl600r, I Constantly Watch Ebay.com For Parts And Aftermarket Stuff. They Have Manuals, Clarke Tanks, Parts, Engines, Frames And Just About Anything. Hope This Helps!

• Jon Lee

Posted May 07, 2005 - 02:39 PM

Hey all, just joined. Have been riding my '83 XL600R since 1985. Has always been a great bike, and faster than newer 650s (lighter, better handling). Does anyone know where to get a front disk caliper rebuild kit, or perhaps a used caliper? My caliper hangs up when I use it, and I know it's missing its dust seals from previous attempts at fixing it.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.