yz timing, messed up

27 replies to this topic
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted June 16, 2005 - 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cedric
hey guys,
Have a look at this:

Motoman 393

Go to tech articles, how to YZ time and look at the last picture. He suggests turning the cam one tooth clockwise, the result would look exactly like mine does...

What is the right thing to do here, I'm getting confused now.

ACCORDING TO THIS, YOU MOVE THE EXH CAM ONE TOOTH CLOCKWISE. THIS WOULD MAKE IT 14 LINKS BETWEEN MARKS RIGHT? I THOUGHT THE YZ ONLY HAD 12. THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE, SOMEONE HAS TO BE WRONG!

• Cedric

Posted June 16, 2005 - 10:59 AM

The idea remains the same, you move the exhaust cam one tooth clockwise from stock when looking at the sprocket side. The debate is whether my bike (a canadian model) came stock with 13 or 12 pins b/w the marks. In either case, turning the cam clockwise would result in less pins b/w the marks, not more.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 16, 2005 - 12:54 PM

Oops! Nevermind, I made a mistake, sorry.

• 5valve

Posted July 24, 2005 - 03:46 AM

Sorry for resurrecting this dead thread but...
Here's how it looked:12 Pins B/W

and how it looks now:
11 Pins B/W Marks

Do the lobes look like your guys' lobes look like with 13 vs. 12 pins? I don't even care much anymore, I know how the bike rides either way, and I know I like 11 pins better. Just thought I would add to this post for curiosity's sake.

to my eye the first picture shows 13 pins and the second shows 12 pins..try also counting the pins in between
in your case "12 pins picture" counting from each direction including all pins starting and finishing exactly above those dots (punch marks) sums to 13

second pic, counting from right to left, starting directly above the punch mark, and also finishing above the left sprocket punch mark, the counting stops between two outer chain links, and that inner link counts for 12

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:30 PM

to my eye the first picture shows 13 pins and the second shows 12 pins..try also counting the pins in between
in your case "12 pins picture" counting from each direction including all pins starting and finishing exactly above those dots (punch marks) sums to 13

second pic, counting from right to left, starting directly above the punch mark, and also finishing above the left sprocket punch mark, the counting stops between two outer chain links, and that inner link counts for 12

I see 12 in the first and 11 in the second... :applause:

• 5valve

Posted May 18, 2006 - 12:31 PM

After almost a year.
Can you guys take a look at upper two pic links and count the number of pins between upper punch marks on the cam chan sprockets.

Other thing, could someone send me a pic dj@enduro-si.com , of the left engine cover, with those two plastic nuts removed. (prefferably wr400 '99)
Ive managed to flip the bike, stone cracked hit directly in the timing hole and I had it welded, but forgot to mark the timing line on the cover.
I can find the TDC and position the cams to what seems correctly, but the TDC last for longer time, could say "one tooth time" on the cam sprocket and wouldnt like to mess things up.

• Numskull

Posted May 18, 2006 - 06:13 PM

This thread has me half confused too :banana:

Just like to point out that when checking your cam timming to make sure its on the compression stroke TDC, and not the exhaust stroke TDC.

The first time I checked my bike I automatically thought it was YZ timed cause the exhaust cam mark was off by one. I Was actually looking at it 180 degrees off. One other thing is that just the outside marks line up with the head, the inside marks are not relavent, they will point slightyl upward.

One other thing to take in to consideration is the fact that the timming marks our different on a yz cam compared to the wr cam. I have read of circumstances where ther is actually 11 pins, but am way to tired to fiquer it out :ride:

• firezwr426

Posted June 23, 2006 - 06:28 PM

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.