New chain & sprocket help.

1 reply to this topic
  • rokklym

Posted April 22, 2005 - 07:01 PM

I bought a 14 CS & a 48 rear to put on my XRL. I've been putting it off til I could afford a new chain and I got that today so I have a few questions.
Whats the best procedure for installing a new chain. I got a 120 and have to cut it down to make it fit. My dealer said to deffinetly get the 120 when changing sprockets just in case you need the length.
Also, I'll be swapping front sprockets quite a bit for highway riding and need to be able to compensate for that. Should I set the adjusters near half when starting out to have room to adjust for stretch and sprockets?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted April 22, 2005 - 11:10 PM

You got it! :naughty:

Just remember when you take a link out, it is almost like taking two links out. You have to remove the male and female parts. Leave as much chain as possible.

Best way is to run the chain through the front sprocket and then meet the two ends across the the back of the rear sprocket. :D

Hope this makes sense.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  47 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.