Race sag vs. Free sag

9 replies to this topic
  • yamwr426

Posted April 22, 2005 - 12:12 PM

I am looking for some help with sag. I have a 2001 WR 426F that I just changed both the fork and shock springs over to Race Tech 5.8 rear and .46MM front to compensate for my weight. I am 6’ 6” 265. This was my only option as the bike would not corner at all with the stock set-up and losing weight is out of the question.

I have the rear race sag set @ 3.5 inches and all seams well other than the fact I lost all of my free sag. From what I have been reading free sag is the indicator that you need a different spring rate. The 5.8 is the largest they had and the bike handles like a dream in the woods and even takes the jumps better than ever. Am I going to hurt anything riding it with zero free sag?

I seems to me the race sag is the most important. Trying to get my free sag set I go over on Race. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Until then I am going to ride it like I stole it. Thanks.

• RichBaker

Posted April 22, 2005 - 12:38 PM

Why did you go with 3.5"? You want about 100mm of "race" sag, which is closer to 4"...

• xr600r

Posted April 22, 2005 - 12:46 PM

I just put a 5.8 on my 03' wr ... AS PER RACE TECH'S RECOMENDATION . grrrrrr.
i set my race sag at 100mm. and am getting 0 free sag.

• yamwr426

Posted April 22, 2005 - 02:02 PM

Ok, I am now at 100MM and still no free sag. I am Ok with it as long as I am not going to damage anything. Thanks.

• beezer

Posted April 22, 2005 - 03:00 PM

I just ordered heavier springs from Factory Connection and they are sending me. .48's for the front and a 5.8 for the back we'll see how it works.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_from_HB

Posted April 22, 2005 - 07:19 PM

I just put a 5.8 on my 03' wr ... AS PER RACE TECH'S RECOMENDATION . grrrrrr.
i set my race sag at 100mm. and am getting 0 free sag.

You both have a spring that's too soft. You are having to crank in too much preload to keep race sag at 100mm. A stiffer spring will require less preload to result in 100mm of race sag. Less preload means more free (static) sag.

The way I see it, the only potential damage is that you could mushroom the shock piston or yank it off the shaft from topping out, but only if your rebound damping is adjusted wrong. Biggest risk is that it won't work as well as it could have.

• yamwr426

Posted April 22, 2005 - 07:45 PM

I am using a Race Tech 5.8 and to my knowledge that is the stiffest offered. I will just have to work with what I got. Thanks.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 23, 2005 - 12:42 AM

I am using a Race Tech 5.8 and to my knowledge that is the stiffest offered. I will just have to work with what I got. Thanks.

Race tech makes 6.0s and 6.4s, several other companys make bigger, I've seen 6.2 6.4 and even 6.8s and 7.0

I've got a 5.8 Race tech on my bike now and have the same problem as you guys (very little or no static sag) I plan to get a 6.0 or even a 6.2 spring shortly.

• ncmountainman

Posted April 23, 2005 - 04:25 AM

i'm 6'4" and 280, i run a 6.6 in the rear and .52's front and its a little soft. i'd go at least what i have. they came from too tech racing ask for rick. :naughty:

• Bamster

Posted April 23, 2005 - 07:14 AM

watch this
high speed http://www.odsc.on.ca/sag.wmv
low speed http://www.odsc.on.ca/sag56k.wmv

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.