Tire riping torq or crappy tires ?

13 replies to this topic
  • WR426madness

Posted April 21, 2005 - 01:05 PM

I have the darnedest time keeping rear tires in tact for more than 8-10 rides before loosing a dozen or so knobs. I ride on a lot of differant tracks with mixed terain, hard pack to sandy loamy conditions. I have so far destroyed Kenda Millville, K257D Dunlop 659, 756. Any one have the magic answer ? :naughty:

• 02YZ426

Posted April 21, 2005 - 01:41 PM

It sounds like your tires to me. I run the Bridgestone M602 I find it lasts a real long time in all terrain. Its great in medium-hard pack and still does ok in sandy conditions. If you run soft compound tires in hard packed or rockey conditions, then the knobbies will start coming off.

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2005 - 02:03 PM

The 756 is a great rear tire. Very light , too. Unfortunately, they wear out really fast. I've never seen one chunk, though.

I use a Maxxis Maxcross IT. Works good in everything but the very softest soils (it works in soft stuff, but there are better soft surface tires), bites in a straight line better than the Dunlop, corners about the same, and lasts at least three times as long, especially in the first few rides.

• Unibomber

Posted April 21, 2005 - 07:28 PM

739G you let us know if you rip knobs off a 739G. :naughty:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted April 22, 2005 - 05:43 AM

Try Maxxiss IT's. I have had great luck with them on both MX and Trails. Works good on soft and hard terrain.

:naughty:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted April 22, 2005 - 05:47 AM

Won't rip the knobs off but the 739G (designed for the 4-stroke) wears way..way... too quick. Obviously how one rides and the surface they ride on can strongly determine this...

I am an intermediate Vet and won't ever run a 739G again. :naughty:

• MichiganMXer

Posted April 22, 2005 - 07:53 AM

Not trying to hijack the thread but does anyones chain take chunks off the side knobbies?

The corners of em?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cortez450

Posted April 22, 2005 - 01:18 PM

I agree with Greyracer!!!!! MAXXIS is the only way to fly! I have used them from very sandy conditions to very hard pack and they seem to work great.... I have about 30 hrs on current rubber is isn't even close to being changed out!!!! The corners are barely rounded off!!!

MAXXIS

• Ga426owner

Posted April 22, 2005 - 02:48 PM

I have the darnedest time keeping rear tires in tact for more than 8-10 rides before loosing a dozen or so knobs. I ride on a lot of differant tracks with mixed terain, hard pack to sandy loamy conditions. I have so far destroyed Kenda Millville, K257D Dunlop 659, 756. Any one have the magic answer ? :naughty:

Yea you want a tire you can not destroy period?????????????????

Michelin MH2 ----- the longest lasting tire you will ever buy! :naughty:

• mikedabike

Posted April 22, 2005 - 03:50 PM

"The 756 is a great rear tire. Very light , too. Unfortunately, they wear out really fast. I've never seen one chunk, though.

I use a Maxxis Maxcross IT. Works good in everything but the very softest soils (it works in soft stuff, but there are better soft surface tires), bites in a straight line better than the Dunlop, corners about the same, and lasts at least three times as long, especially in the first few rides."

What he said.

• Master Wong

Posted April 22, 2005 - 07:11 PM

what psi are you running?

• WR426madness

Posted April 25, 2005 - 07:05 PM

I have been running generaly 12-15 psi. I just purchased a Michelin M-12 because of the massive knobs and their spacing and after riding on it this weekend I would have to say man this thing really hooks in mixed terrains. I'll let you know how it holds up as time goes by. :naughty:

• WR426madness

Posted June 12, 2005 - 06:46 AM

Well 10 rides on the M-12 and still holding up well. :)

• FZ1426

Posted June 12, 2005 - 09:03 AM

Here's the deal. "Soft terrain" tires are hard compound and therefore will chunk knobs if run in hard stuff. "Hard terrain" tires are soft compound by design so they won't chunk knobs, but as a result tend to wear down faster overall. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.