Coolant Change

6 replies to this topic
  • WaGuy78

Posted April 21, 2005 - 11:35 AM

How often should you flush and change your coolant? I have a new 05 450 with about 250 miles on it... Is it time?

Also, what do you guys add to the water?

• sharpmarble

Posted April 21, 2005 - 12:29 PM

I'm not sure about the change interval, but I recommend engine ice premix, it's good stuff :naughty:

• rockieman

Posted April 21, 2005 - 01:18 PM

My manual says every 2 years which is what I adhere to. If you ride in extreme conditions (hot) you may do it more frequently.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted April 21, 2005 - 02:02 PM

I going with once a year, every 6 months if racing :naughty:

• Shuffler

Posted April 21, 2005 - 02:04 PM

on that note, are there any tricks or 'gotchas' when changing coolant? stuff like making sure there are no air bubbles in the system etc. Is it easy enough to do?

I run Engine Ice in the big KTM, and will run that in the YZ & WR when I get around to changing the fluid. It's more expensive, but good stuff.

• minion

Posted April 21, 2005 - 07:09 PM

on that note, are there any tricks or 'gotchas' when changing coolant? stuff like making sure there are no air bubbles in the system etc. Is it easy enough to do?

I run Engine Ice in the big KTM, and will run that in the YZ & WR when I get around to changing the fluid. It's more expensive, but good stuff.

You might check out this post from ncmountainman:

http://www.thumperta...ghlight=coolant

He uses something called NPG-R in his bike. He has had numerous boiling over problems on his bike (tight single track / slow riding), and switched to this stuff. Solved his problems.

• xcracer123

Posted April 24, 2005 - 10:44 PM

Agreed! The NPG-R is the way to go if you have overheating problem. If you are just wanting to know what to add to your 50/50, pick up a gallon of distilled water. No corrosion that way!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.