Flames come out the back!!!!

4 replies to this topic
  • offrodeo

Posted April 21, 2005 - 06:45 AM

So i just bought my bike (03 yz 450f) Sweet machine, damn fast. I was riding around dawn and my buddies said i have huge flames coming out the back. I think its mainly when i let off the gas because it back fires sometimes (sounds cool though) not huge backfires, seems normal to me.

Is this bad?
what could it be?

thanx

kevan

• saucebox

Posted April 21, 2005 - 07:05 AM

i would presume that to be normal... small backfiring on decel is pretty normal, and usually when you have backfire some flame shoots out the exhaust, most of the time its not noticeable but if it wasn't very light out you might see it. also, it might be running a tad lean try messing with the fuel screw.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sanpedro426

Posted April 21, 2005 - 07:57 AM

Yep what he said. Didnt you notice that the header pipe gets RED HOT too? ALL normal and yes you sound a little lean.

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Exhaust decel backfire is almost unavoidable, and unless it gets to the point that there's a risk of blowing your muffler apart or starting a fire, it's harmless. But you can at least nearly get rid of it in most cases.

It's usually caused either by lean idle mixture, or an air leak in the exhaust system.

If you don't have one now, get an extended idle fuel screw. FCR carbs are sensitive to changes in altitude and temperature, and need to be tweaked from time to time. The extended screw makes it easier (possible) to do.

Air leaks in the exhaust normally happen at the midpipe/header joint, but it can be anywhere else there's a joint in the system. Rule this out as well as you can before playing with your idle mix, because otherwise, you may end up running too rich a mixture in order to cover for the air leak.

• RJB

Posted April 21, 2005 - 08:18 AM

So i just bought my bike (03 yz 450f) Sweet machine, damn fast. I was riding around dawn and my buddies said i have huge flames coming out the back. I think its mainly when i let off the gas because it back fires sometimes (sounds cool though) not huge backfires, seems normal to me.

Is this bad?
what could it be?

thanx

kevan

time for a spark arrestor?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.