Has any Aussies fouled a plug or does the USA have bad fuel.
Posted November 07, 2000 - 02:13 PM
Posted November 07, 2000 - 03:39 PM
The DRQ you have is a richer needle than the '00WR in the US - DRS. Lucky for you guys.
However, the '99/98WR in the US had a DTM which is richer yet by 3 steps (last letter rich to lean, MNPQRS ).
Yamaha has jumped around alot in 3 years.
Interesting to know what is working for you is a smaller pilot jet. What was wrong with the #45 at 1 3/4 turns??
(Clark, DRQ#3 is about the same as DVP#5, a VERY good choice MKB)
Thanks for the summary,
Posted November 07, 2000 - 08:52 PM
1. while under heavy acceleration the bike started to break-down and fart around (like it was out of petrol)
2. while it never fouled a plug while riding it sometimes never started when cold or just washed.
At the time I was getting a bit upset as plugs aren't cheap and I was told by a dealer that once you'd fouled them they were no good, as sometimes I was only getting one ride out of them. It was only after some much needed help from the gurus from this site and a process of elimination on my behalf that I came to the following conclusions:
1. piss the OPTIMAX fuel off, being a denser fuel it doesn't atomise as well as PUL or reg.UL
2. when washing the bike, make sure that the exhaust is sealed from the water and when oiling you filter that you get all the excess off
3.changed to yz timing and used DR J's EKP needle on clip no 3 and adjusted fuel screw to suit
4. invested in a small blow torch and cleaned up 12 plugs all of which now work fine
I hope some of that can help some one else out there.
Posted November 08, 2000 - 06:17 PM
Posted November 08, 2000 - 06:34 PM
Posted November 08, 2000 - 06:59 PM
(note:The Euro model carb needle -DRQ in clip#2 is close to the stock YZ400 DVR#4. DRQ looks to be best in clips #2 or #3)
Posted November 09, 2000 - 02:35 PM
I always though our fuel over here was close to the worst in the world but there is no fouling probs.
Doesn't the gas in the US have some alcohol content in it?
What octane rating are you guys running?
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.
Posted November 10, 2000 - 06:41 AM