Making XR650R dual sport

29 replies to this topic
  • motorcycle_bradley

Posted April 20, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Anyone have any hints on how to get the DMV to dual sport an XR650R with the street legal kit now that it is not allowed?

motorcycle_bradley

• hill5150

Posted April 20, 2005 - 06:22 PM

Drove to Phoenix and Back Saturday, I posted up to the inspection line, the nice woman wrote down the VIN #, no inspection, she directed me past the 200 people waiting for the drive test, BTW you think our DMV is bad go to Phoenix on a Saturday Anyhow 65.00 later and a little coaxing and I have an Az. plate on my BRP, RODE WHEELIES ALL THE WAY TO WORK TODAY Gas? Ride On.....................

Go to arizona and register it there, they do not care, and you are a happy camper, good luck.........

• motorcycle_bradley

Posted April 21, 2005 - 12:26 PM

Thank you so much for your input. I know what I am doing this summer.

motorcycle_bradley

• retrobkmn

Posted April 21, 2005 - 12:42 PM

theres only one problem with registering out of state and riding in Ca.If your bike is registered in AZ and you are licensed in CA thats a red flag and they will report you to the DMV.It's one of those" if they catch you "kind of things but may or may not be worth the hassel.It depends how much you ride and if you ride in the same places all the time,where you will get noticed by the POPO.The XR's tend to get looked at anyway.I ride though Huntington beach everyday and by the same cop every morning and every morning I get a look that says maybe he'll pull me over to check me out.

• hill5150

Posted April 21, 2005 - 02:01 PM

You just have to ride faster............... :naughty:

• Husky_Forever

Posted April 21, 2005 - 08:09 PM

Faster than the BMW 1100RTs on an XR 650? Not likely. Better to buy a Ca. licensed XR 650 already or just ride the street in out of the way places. As soon as they pull you over and you show your ca. license with AZ plate's, Guess what comes next? its not an award for cleverness. Steny :naughty:

• Max Power

Posted April 21, 2005 - 08:40 PM

Well, the XR would be faster than the RT in the dirt.

• Berserker

Posted April 22, 2005 - 07:21 AM

I'm thinking about registering my bike in AZ as well. If I do I'll use something like my middle name as my first name that way I can say it's my brother's bike.

The interesting question is should it be a dual state registered bike - Green sticker in CA and License Plate in AZ?

Any feedback is welcome cause I want to do this right.

• hill5150

Posted April 22, 2005 - 07:24 AM

Faster than the BMW 1100RTs on an XR 650? Not likely. Better to buy a Ca. licensed XR 650 already or just ride the street in out of the way places. As soon as they pull you over and you show your ca. license with AZ plate's, Guess what comes next? its not an award for cleverness. Steny :naughty:

It's not an issue, the popo are stupid we all know that, you have a house in Az. as well as here, you use the bike at both locations. Real simple. What are they gonna do when you are registered,licensed, and insured.Nothing.Don't even worry yourself over it. ride on.... :naughty:

• RimLok

Posted April 22, 2005 - 07:45 PM

Well...... actually the courts are on to this game and can require the defendant to provide proof of domain (where thier primary residence is located). So if you get stopped and use the "I live in Arizona too" excuse, you can still be cited for license fraud in Kalifornia IF the officer believes you are actually living in another state ie. Arizona.

Even if you own real property in another state the courts can require you to prove where you work, where you pay taxes, other vehicles you own and any previous tickets or arrests you have had and from what states. They do this in the form of tax papers, insurance papers, utilities receipts, certified driving records and so on.

Courts have recognized these ruses and have been forcing people to pick a place of primary residence. It's not like the old days, now all the agencies are using computers and talking to each other, this is reducing tax and license fraud at a rapid pace.

Not to say the minimum wage licensing agent will not process the paperwork and title for you in another state, many times they never look at anything but the address you give them. But when it does catch up to you it could possibly be expensive and the loss of the plate on your bike.

Too bad too, I would love to street legal an XR650R myself but I need to purchase one from another state that is already plated and then there is no guarentee it can be licensed here in Wa.

So you really think popos are stupid eh?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Max Power

Posted April 22, 2005 - 08:19 PM

It's not an issue, the popo are stupid we all know that

You might want to re-work that statement.

• KK232

Posted April 23, 2005 - 02:25 AM

:naughty: Whats a popo?

• RimLok

Posted April 23, 2005 - 06:41 AM

Police.............commonly referred to as popo by the uneducated.

• Quigley

Posted April 24, 2005 - 04:47 AM

Just carry some donuts in your tool pouch and don't give it a second thought.

• XR/CRDave

Posted April 24, 2005 - 06:39 AM

For the poeple who are desperate to get dual-sport registration would this work? Get it registered in AZ or NV, run it for awhile-6 months or until stopped, then transfer the reg and plate to CA reg and plate. This seems like a big hassle but would it work? I miss riding my old XR600 on the street, used to be fun cruising to the beach or going out for pizza with my friends on their streetbikes. My ex wouldn't let me do this to my 650 a few yrs ago. What do you guys think, would this work?

• hill5150

Posted April 25, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Well...... actually the courts are on to this game and can require the defendant to provide proof of domain (where thier primary residence is located). So if you get stopped and use the "I live in Arizona too" excuse, you can still be cited for license fraud in Kalifornia IF the officer believes you are actually living in another state ie. Arizona.

Even if you own real property in another state the courts can require you to prove where you work, where you pay taxes, other vehicles you own and any previous tickets or arrests you have had and from what states. They do this in the form of tax papers, insurance papers, utilities receipts, certified driving records and so on.

Courts have recognized these ruses and have been forcing people to pick a place of primary residence. It's not like the old days, now all the agencies are using computers and talking to each other, this is reducing tax and license fraud at a rapid pace.

Not to say the minimum wage licensing agent will not process the paperwork and title for you in another state, many times they never look at anything but the address you give them. But when it does catch up to you it could possibly be expensive and the loss of the plate on your bike.

Too bad too, I would love to street legal an XR650R myself but I need to purchase one from another state that is already plated and then there is no guarentee it can be licensed here in Wa.

So you really think popos are stupid eh?

So are you a lawyer or is your glass always half empty, my bike is plated, I am licensed, I have insurance, they can try until they are blue in the mug, I have two homes, a vacation home in Az which I rent a room at and I live here in Ca. It really is not an issue.I will challenge all their claims any day..............You know why, because I love to ride,that's why :naughty: dirt and on the street......... :naughty: Ride on.........

• malibuskier

Posted April 26, 2005 - 11:45 AM

if it has a baja kit on it dmv will license it.............just know that you will have to pay for both license fees and green sticker fees when due

• hill5150

Posted April 26, 2005 - 12:30 PM

ok fine I have a job................ :naughty: A real good one at that...

• don87xr600

Posted April 26, 2005 - 02:11 PM

if it has a baja kit on it dmv will license it.............just know that you will have to pay for both license fees and green sticker fees when due

I'm in a time warp, help! :naughty:

• RimLok

Posted April 26, 2005 - 02:24 PM

So are you a lawyer or is your glass always half empty, my bike is plated, I am licensed, I have insurance, they can try until they are blue in the mug, I have two homes, a vacation home in Az which I rent a room at and I live here in Ca. It really is not an issue.I will challenge all their claims any day..............You know why, because I love to ride,that's why :D dirt and on the street......... :naughty: Ride on.........

Nope, not a lawyer but my beer glass is half empty.

I'm just saying, those that believe they are so intelligent to think the courts have never dealt with this type of thing are really only fooling themselves.

Adivising anyone to commit fraud is very irrational advice and anyone taking your advice to do so by licensing a motor vehicle using your method MAY be committing fraud. Do you encourge this type of behavior in your family or among your friends, I would hope not.

But regardless, I could care less what you do, you have a good job, WOW, big deal. All that means is you will be buying an attorney when and if you are ever charged with a crime of fraud. Think it hasn't happened?? Well.... to you it dosen't matter, because you have a good job, WOW.

You can afford an attorney, then you and your attorney can watch a judge and all the jurors turn blue trying to convict you of fraud. You won't go to jail because of it, because you have a good job, WOW and a really good job at that. They would rather take your money, trust me.

If you had no job, or didn't have a good job, you would get one appointed to you by the State of Kalifornia and work off what the State of Kalifornia say's you owe them. Pay sucks though, you will probably not care much for the hourly wage.

So encouraging anyone to commit fraud that doesn't have a good job, unlike YOU, may cause hardship on that person if they were to take your advice and then fall victim to the State of Kalifornia Department of Justice, you know, it's the guys you are going to turn blue trying to take your plate away? Oh maybe you never heard of the DOJ before, very powerful group they are...them bastaaards. They like people that have good jobs, You know the type..just like YOU as a matter of fact. You get to pay for all kinds of things they want.

Question should be.... ARE YOU A LAWYER? If your not, you very well could be needing one some day.

What you have done basically is minimize and downplay the importance of being a law abiding citizen with good morals and sound ethics. You are willing to give advice to others, perhaps your own children, friends and anyone on this board wanting to trust your word, that it's okay to violate the law just to get what you want.

I would hope that anyone here that wants not to chance losing in the end, to not take your advice, unless they are willing to face the consequences of losing and paying with a possible criminal felony conviction that will follow them forever where ever they go. Regardless of the type of job they have and regardless of how many people turn blue.

Ride On :naughty:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.