Broken gas tank bolts

3 replies to this topic
  • cortez450

Posted April 20, 2005 - 07:50 AM

Damn, I broke off the head on the bolt that holds the tank to the frame. Anyone have any ideas how to get out the broken piece. Do I need to drill out very carefully that piece and re-do the threads?????? I know I should have used the torque wrench.... Hindsight is 20/20

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2005 - 09:03 AM

The most common method is to use a screw extractor, or "easy-out". These you can find pretty much anyplace that sells automotive tools.

The process is generally to carefully center punch the broken bolt as near on center as possible, then drill into it with a drill size recommended for the tool. The extractor is inserted into the hole you drilled, and as you rotate it counterclockwise, it jams in place and backs out the broken stub. DO NOT break the easy-out off! They're far too hard to drill out.

In cases where the bolt was broken only because it was over tightened, the threads may still be in pretty good shape. You can sometimes get lucky and run the bolt out by using a left hand twist drill bit, which you deliberately try to "stick" in the bolt so the drill runs the bolt out. This requires a reversible drill, obviously. If you can get to the inboard end of the broken bolt by going through the other side, you may be able to catch a normal right handed bit in it and have the same result.

If you are extremely lucky, it may back out for you by pushing on it with a pencil eraser and turning the pencil to back it out a ways. Worth a try.

Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sparks426

Posted April 20, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Did it break right at the head of the bolt, or flush with where it goes into the frame? If it broke right under the head, pull the 2 bolts that hold the mount to the tank, remove the tank and slide the mount off, and use a pair of vise-grips to grab what's left of the bolt and remove it. If it's broke flush with the frame, see grayracer's post. A left-handed drill bit is a good start, if it doesn't work, at least you have a hole drilled to use a screw-extractor on.

• cortez450

Posted April 20, 2005 - 01:41 PM

Well let's just say that I have another bolt now.... It broke right in half!!! I have never had this problem before and all of the sudden it snapped. I know that the bolt was not even in all the way. The bolt was feeding correctly also. Well, thanks all for the input!!!!!!

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.