Trip meter reset?

9 replies to this topic
  • bigbluejoe

Posted April 20, 2005 - 06:47 AM

Anybody find a better way to zero the odometer ( trip meter) on a '05 WR450 other than pulling the side knob out and winding it back 1/10th of a kM at a time. I cannot find any mention of it in the manual.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 20, 2005 - 06:55 AM

Nope.. :naughty: The only way to "Zero" the Odo out is to wind it backwards (or forwards). Not cool if you have to reset it after a few hundred miles. I was thinking about making a fitting to go around the knob that attaches to a Makita to do it much quicker, maybe use some tubing.. couldn't be that hard to make..

• Rcsnowb

Posted April 20, 2005 - 05:27 PM

I found a stiff rubber hose that fit around the knob and then attched it to a drill.

• Gadsen

Posted April 20, 2005 - 06:45 PM

Anybody find a better way to zero the odometer ( trip meter) on a '05 WR450 other than pulling the side knob out and winding it back 1/10th of a kM at a time. I cannot find any mention of it in the manual.

LOL, yeah, I had a run in with mine once. I used to own a KDX and it went back to zero at 100 miles. Well, not paying too much attention to the WR, I was at 80 miles and though, hey, be quicker to run it forward 20 miles. Well, as 100 came around, I was expecting it to roll to all zeros, DOH! It has an extra digit, so needless to say, I'd have to go back a full 100 miles to zero it. I have a fix for this. I left it on, left the knob out to it doesnt roll and use a trail tech computer. I have kept the original in place for backup, but have really considered removing it all together.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 21, 2005 - 09:00 AM

As a friendly reminder, the screw that holds the knob on the odo comes loose from time to time.. I've actually lost a couple of em'... Make sure they're tight.. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tokenboy

Posted April 21, 2005 - 09:28 AM

As a friendly reminder, the screw that holds the knob on the odo comes loose from time to time.. I've actually lost a couple of em'... Make sure they're tight.. :naughty:

Yeah, as I was winding mine back the other nite I realized the numbers quit moving and looked down to see I was spinning the knob with the tiny screw laying on the garage floor...

• Sylvain

Posted April 21, 2005 - 05:53 PM

Trailtech computer is the answer. Just don't forget to change the battery every year and take note of wheel circumference number and mileage. Very nice for a tight maintenance schedule. :naughty:

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 22, 2005 - 06:01 AM

Bigbluejoe,
Go down to your local Yamaha dealer and order a knob for a TT R 250. It is about 1 1/2 half times bigger in diameter. It fits the shaft and uses the same itty bitty retaining screw..... It is much easier to grasp and makes rewinding much, much quicker. I don't know why Yamaha uses two differant Knob on the same odometer. (ttr & wr) :naughty:
Jim

• lbubak

Posted April 22, 2005 - 01:24 PM

If I do I'll let you know. I'll probably just buy an electronic one.

• jimdog

Posted June 07, 2005 - 06:31 AM

Bigblewjoe,

The Yamaha stock piece is obviously a chaep add on by Yamaha, the Trailtech computer is the real thing. In a few years they eventually will upgrade to useable odometer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.